Average Size of Windows 10.pvm file/Running Out of Disk Space

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Joe18, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Joe18

Joe18 Bit poster

Hello. I somehow started running out of disk space last night on my Mac while running Parallels. Initially it gave me the low disk space message and then shut down automatically. I cleared some cache files on the Mac and was able to use Parallels again. About 2 minutes later I received the same message about low disk space and Parallels shut down again. I cleared more space and was able to boot up again. Within a few minutes the low disk space message appeared and shut down again. The first two times it needed 50-100 mb to be cleared in order to boot. This time it needs 2712 mb to be cleared. I was not saving anything on the virtual machine at the time (never do, I just use it for a single application that does not take up disk space except the initial install), was not installing anything on the virtual machine, and was not saving anything on my Mac during all of this. Something is eating up space while the virtual machine is running. I do not have any snapshots saved. There is also zero reclaimable space on the VM.

As I was clearing files each time I sorted all of the files on my Mac by size. The Windows 10.pvm file grew from under 30GB to 34.67. What size should this file be on average? It seems odd that it is growing in size even though I am not saving anything to the virtual machine.

2. Joe18

Joe18 Bit poster

Well, I freed up 10GB on my Mac, restarted Parallels, and, 3 minutes into my session, ran out of hard drive space again. I checked the .pvm file before I booted up Parallels and it was 34.67GB. It is not sitting at 41.86GB. Something is rapidly filling up the hard drive on the virtual machine. Inspecting the .pvm package contents, the harddisk.hdd is 41.85GB. This is insane. I do not save anything on the hard drive. What could be filling it up like that?

3. Joe18

Joe18 Bit poster

That should have been "It is NOW sitting at 41.86GB".