Back screen and errors at launch - Star Trek Bridge Commander

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pemoy, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Hello,

I've recently decided to give Start Trek Bridge Commander another go after many years (now installed on Windows 10).
    However when I start the .exe the screen goes black (it does change the resolution) and I get a bunch of error messages telling me that these files are missing:
    • Mp3dec.asi
    • Mssv12.asi
    • Mss24.asi
    • Mssv29.asi
    • Mssa3d.m3d
    • Mssdolby.m3d
    • Mssds3dh.m3d
    • Mssds3ds.m3d
    • Mssdx7sh.m3d
    • Mssdx7sl.m3d
    • Mssdx7sn.m3d
    • Msseax.m3d
    • Msseax2.m3d
    • Mssfast.m3d
    • Mssrsx.m3d
    Am I missing a library that I need to install for STBC to run?
    I'm running Parallels Desktop 15 (v15.1.4) on an iMac (Retina 27-inch, Late 2015) using macOS Catalina (10.15.6).

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Correction: The errors don't say that the files are missing, but rather that they are "either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error".
    I also tried running the .exe As Administrator and turning on Compatibility mode (Windows XP Service Pack 3 according to this: https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?40646-Bridge-Commander-Setup) but this didn't change anything.

3. Hello,
    could you please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please and share post the report's ID here?
    Also may I ask you to install Parallels Desktop 16, test the same behavior during the 14 days trial period and also collect the tech report if the issue reproduced.
    Looking forward to your reply.

4. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Thanks for the response!
    Here's the tech report ID you requested: 349213258
    If possible I would like to wait with updating to/testing PD 16, do you really think updating would make a difference here?

5. Honestly, it will be grate to get a bit more information from you: from 15 and 16 version. Also Parallels Desktop 16.0.1. has been released yesterday.
    If you have a time, could you test and check the issue with the latest Parallels Desktop 16 build?

6. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Alright I'll try updating to PD 16.
    What do I have to back up before updating incase I want to downgrade back to PD 15 (making sure all my settings would stay the same)?

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. What kind of settings would you like to save?
    Do you mean your virtual machine data?

8. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Thanks for the reply!
    Basically all settings:
    • Everything under Parallels Desktop > Preferences
    • Everything in the virtual machine Configuration
    • All the "in simulation" settings in Windows.

9. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Those are the settings I want to save when updating to PD 16, and when I potentially downgrade back to PD 15.
    Basically I want no settings to have changed in the process.

10. What do you mean under "simulation" settings?

What kind of setting would you like to save at VM configuration and Parallels Desktop preferences?

11. pemoy

pemoy Bit poster

Basically I don't want to have to go through pages upon pages of settings that I've already set how I want them, after updating and potentially downgrading to/from PD 16. In essence my question is: which settings (found under Parallels Desktop > Preferences, in the virtual machine Configuration, and those of Windows 10 inside the virtual machine (e.g. in the control centre and so on...)) will be reset/changed by upgrading/downgrading to/from PD 16? Which settings will I need to go over again to set them back to how they are now after upgrading/downgrading to/from PD 16?

12. To be honest, we keep all setting and do not change it.
    So all of your settings will be the same after upgrade and downgrade.