Big Sur (guest) on Big Sur (host) - external USB not found

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ChristianK12, Apr 29, 2021.

1. ChristianK12

ChristianK12 Junior Member

I'm trying to connect my external ILok Dongle to my Big Sur VM, but it just doesn't work.
    The entry in in the Devices Menu is checked, but it doesn't show up in macOS
    The same USB-device with an older Catalina VM works without problems.
    It is a general bug/problem?

2. ChristianK12

It would be nice if someone could give this a try. It works for Catalina as a guest, but not for Big Sur.

3. ChristianK12

It looks like that Big Sur Guest-VM inside parallels (under Big Sur) not being capable of detecting USB devices
    Today I received an answer from my support ticket, with points me to an article how to solve windows vm usb issues, not very helpful.

As you see in the screenshot, wether the dongle nor the HDD can be forwarded to the Big Sur VM, it is possible with the Catalina VM.

upload_2021-5-4_20-44-7.png

4. ChristianK12

okay, here some news.
    Installed a fresh Big Sur 11.3.1 with ILok License Manager, ILok was detected (hooray!), then did a snapshot.
    After installing Parallels Tools and restarted the machine, again ILok was NOT detected anymore, after rolling back to the snapshot, ILok still NOT detected again (WTF).
    If anybody has an idea how to debug this, or has any hints, please let me know.

5. Hi,
    thanks a lot for sharing your solution here.
    May we ask you about the same issue with the latest Parallels Desktop version?
    Did you check it if yes and you see any issues please let us know here or via private message.