Black screen after installing Parallel tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ParallelsU25, Oct 19, 2015.

1. ParallelsU25

ParallelsU25 Bit poster

Hi all,
    I'm on a 2013 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and 512 MB hard drive.
    I have my drive split evenly for Windows 10 in BootCamp and Yosemite.
    I installed the trial of Parallels 11 and chose my Bootcamp partition to use as VM in Parallels.
    Everything seems to go fine until the Parallel tools are installed, as soon as that happens the screen goes black.. no cursor or anything.
    I found a tip, in the knowledge base to boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the Parallels display driver, reboot and reinstall Parallel tools.
    I do that and when I uninstall the display driver I can boot normally, but as soon as I try to reinstall the tools the screen goes black again.

Anyone know of a way around this? The only way this software would be useful to me is to be able to use my Bootcamp installation like this.

Just as a point of reference, I've also tried this on a 2015 MacBook Pro, with Windows 10 in Bootcamp and Yosemite and did not experience this same issue.. but the Air is my primary machine so I need to get it working there.

Thanks

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please reset Windows Virtual Machine from Action->Reset and it should work. Thanks!

3. ParallelsU25

ParallelsU25 Bit poster

Hi, I have tried this and it did not work, restarts with black screen again.
    If I reboot in safe mode I can uninstall the Parallels display adapter, but then as soon as I reinstall it the display goes black again.

4. ParallelsU25

ParallelsU25 Bit poster

Just an updated that I've tried the same version on a 2015 MacBook Pro, 15", and I have the exact same problem.
    As soon as Parallels Tools are installed I get a black screen, resetting does not work.. the only thing that works is removing the Parallels video driver and then I have limited functionality (like being limited to 1024x768 resolution).

I hope someone can help me resolve this within my trial period, because at this point the product is less functional than free solutions.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, please try this steps mentioned in the Blog and let us know how it works.

6. ParallelsU25

ParallelsU25 Bit poster

Thank you so much.
    Scenario 2 fixed my issue, it looks like it was the application that supported a USB 3.0 display adapter I had installed.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Great! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

8. Nina

Nina Bit poster

everything is new to me here just got my Mac.loaded Parallels and it worked fine but then today my screen goes black and freezes up while in Word or PowerPoint. Im in school and really need this to work Its the almost end of the quarter! agh!!

Has any one tried uninstalling and re installing it?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi Nina, please start your virtual machine and reset it from Action->Reset and it should work. Thanks!

10. Nina

Nina Bit poster

Okay I found reset- Ill hope this works! I litterly have had this a week!

10:13pm PST -Update- It reset, but the program keeps freezing to black, Im loosing all the info I worked on in PowerPoint b/c I have to keep resetting. There must be a better solution Id really like to complete at least on project!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  11. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Plz email us the issue at cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it through a remote session for you.

12. LisaC1

LisaC1 Bit poster

Hi,

I have the exact same issue - black screen when using my bootcamp windows 8.1 as virtual machine. On the very first startup it seemed to work - then it upgraded the parallel tools and now every single time I get a black screen - no cursor. Can't boot into safe mode as there is no option to do that in windows 8.1 - all your support advises there is but there isn't !!!!! it just goes to boot Manager with no options for safe mode. I'm at my wits end here.

13. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

14. LisaC1

LisaC1 Bit poster

Hi,

I've folllowed all the recommendations and I still get the black screen with no cursor. I feel I have paid for a dud product...as it doesnt do the job at all - doesnt do anything!

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, please try this steps mentioned in the Blog and let us know how it works.

16. LisaC1

LisaC1 Bit poster

I've ALREADY tried this ... why are we going round in circles???!!! please can a real person just contact me and help me sort this out instead of replying with unhelpful links on a forum? This is probably the worst customer service I've ever had from such a well know brand.

17. Tried several of the recommendations in the "blog" that I could (Could not start in 'Safe Mode') Reinstalling 'Tools' did work, for now.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hello Denise, please email us to cs(at)parallels(.)com with the problem report ID, so that we can check it for you.