Black Screen After Last Windows 10 Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by capaho, Mar 21, 2018.

1. capaho

capaho Bit poster

Following the last Windows 10 update I get a black screen with only a cursor after logging into the user account, rendering Windows unusable. I get the same result if I boot it into Safe Mode. I have no idea how to resolve this.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @capaho , do you have any snapshots taken recently before the issue started?

3. capaho

capaho Bit poster

I don't have any snapshots because I keep the Windows virtual machine backed up with Time Capsule. If I restore it to a point before the last update the problem occurs again after the update is installed again.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @capaho , please restore the virtual machine from the back up and before updating Windows, please perform Sfc scan and check disk and check for hard disk errors and start the Windows update once again.

5. ReneeF

ReneeF Bit poster

I am having the exact same issue, and all attempts to fix it are rendered useless. I even tried installing a brand new version of Windows and the issue still persists.

6. capaho

capaho Bit poster

I ran sfc scannow and chkdsk and no errors were reported. I ran the Windows Update Assistant again and got the same problem. Windows booted up with just a black screen and a cursor following the installation of the Windows upgrade.

7. capaho

capaho Bit poster

In troubleshooting this problem further I found that I can only boot into command prompt mode. Running chkdsk in that mode reports no errors. If I boot into safe mode, low-resolution mode or normally I get no graphics rendering except for the cursor. I'm running Windows in Parallels on an iMac with a 4k retina display, if that makes any difference.

8. W.I

W.I Member

I've had black screen problems, and have resolved them by
    resetting windows from the actions menu
    and/or sending ctrl-alt-del to windows and choosing log off, then logging in again.
    Sending ctrl-alt-del and running task manager, and killing anything not responding sometimes also helps.

9. LeahA

LeahA Bit poster

Hi W.I, I am having the same problems. How do you send the Ctrl-Alt-Del to Windows and running task manager?

10. LeahA

LeahA Bit poster

I got to reset it and it's back. Thank you very much W.I.

11. Hi LeahA. Please start the virtual machine. Select Devices (from Mac menu bar) -> Keyboard -> Ctrl+Alt+Del to pass the command to the virtual machine.

12. capaho

capaho Bit poster

Well, I've tried everything mentioned in this thread plus uninstalling the A/V software before running the update again and nothing works. I guess I'm going to have to give up on Parallels after this one and either install Windows in Boot Camp or buy an actual PC.

13. capaho

capaho Bit poster

As a last resort before I gave up I restored the windows.pvm file from the oldest Time Machine backup I had and did the Windows updates again and it worked this time. I have no idea what was wrong with the newer pvm files because sfc /scannow and chkdsk reported no errors and I couldn't troubleshoot the problem after it occurred because I had no graphics other than the cursor. In any case, restoring from the oldest backup file I had and updating from there worked.

14. JeremyB1

JeremyB1 Bit poster

Exact same problem here: black screen after session login on windows 10, right after the last big update. The solution for me was to...wait... I mean wait for several minutes and finally desktop showed up

Cocoaju likes this.
  15. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

I am running v13, Win10 and just recently it started nagging me about the update. I let it run in the background and the next day noticed it was just a black screen. I had to restart and Windows automatically rolled back to the previous version quite smoothly.
    Now it is again prompting me to install, and now it is stuck at 0% after about 30min. Does Parallels not support this version of Windows? I use this VM for work so it is blocking me, I can I guess roll-back but eventually Windows will just auto-install again.

16. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

I have the same problem. After the latest Windows 10 update version 1803 (one that will ask you to set a lot setting), I get a black screen after logging into Windows. I have to wait for a long long time before the desktop shows up. Like JeremyB1 said, a good several minutes. It looks like it's taking time to log in. It's annoying to have to wait for it to start up.

Will there be a fix?

17. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

18. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. MikeA6

MikeA6 Bit poster

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support