Black screen after most recent Kali update (2019.4)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JediahL, Oct 5, 2019.

1. JediahL

JediahL Junior Member

Opened up my Kali image this evening and ran an apt update && apt upgrade, and after reboot the screen is black.

I have the latest version of Parallels 15 and the most recent toolbox; I also have the grub fix installed for the video drivers issue for Kali.

I have disabled 3D acceleration and have also toggled the grub fix on and off (neither made a difference). I am running Kali Release 2019.4 (5.2.0-kali3-amd64).

What other type of information is needed to troubleshoot, is there something else I should be looking at and should I open a support ticket? Figured I'd start here, in case someone else has the same issue.

upload_2019-10-5_21-31-8.png

mustafay1 likes this.
  2. JediahL

JediahL Junior Member

I also reverted to a previous snapshot and re-applied changes again, still the same results.

3. JediahL

JediahL Junior Member

Tonight I reverted back to my snapshot before Parallels 15, then applied the grub update, then the rolling update, upgrade, reboot, autoremove, reboot, full-upgrade, reboot. It's running now.. so perhaps there was just a blip in the updates. No idea what happened... *shrug*

4. ritab2

ritab2 Bit poster

maybe you should reboot and keep trying

5. JediahL

JediahL Junior Member

PDA from another forum:

if you are running kali, beware there's am issue with gnome at this time, which give you black screen issue if you upgrade packages and reboot. the fix for now:

sudo apt install gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0=3.30.2.1-2

sudo apt-mark hold gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0

this will allow updates, except for that one, so no screen issues

mustafay1 likes this.
  6. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

I have same problem. Is there any progress I tried a lot of different workarounds, not fixed yet.

7. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

this is fixed for me ty