Blurred display with high scaling

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Windows' started by PatrickD8, Apr 21, 2020.

1. PatrickD8

PatrickD8 Member

Hello,
    for screens with >= 4K resolution and a scaling of over 150%, the remote connection appears blurry. Are there ways to improve the situation?
    I have already activated DPI Aware in Parallels Client and activated Program DPI. Unfortunately without success.
    I suspect this is a general problem with RDP + scaling.

To recreate the problem, set screen scaling in Windows 10 very high and connect to a server.
    We have tested with different versions of Windows Server and have the same problem everywhere.

We are grateful for help.

Best regards
    Patrick

2. Eugene. K.

Eugene. K. Parallels Team

Is it possible for you to take a screenshot as an example? I'd like to understand how different they look in your case. Usually, on a screenshot the difference is even more noticeable then it actually is. You can use a private message if necessary.

3. PatrickD8

PatrickD8 Member

Hello Eugene,
    I'm not sure if screenshots help. If so, I would have to take a complete picture of the screen without compression.
    I think it's easier to play with the Windows 10 scaling settings. Set the value there as high as possible so that the problem will hopefully be visible to you.
    In Windows 10, icons and text are still clearly displayed. Also pay attention to icons in the taskbar or text in the start menu.
    If you look at the same on a remote connection, you will see more pixelated icons and fuzzy fonts, although font smoothing or DPI awareness is active.

We have older customers who like to set the scaling higher because of their eyes and then complain about blurred display on the server.
    That is the background of the request.

Best regards
    Patrick

4. Eugene. K.

Hi Patrick,
    I was asking for a screenshot because here is an example from my Windows 10 Retina display setup with 300% scaling; local app on the top and remote app via Parallels Client on the bottom:
    Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 12.46.58.png
    I think you would agree that both local and remote apps look pretty similar and texts are sharp. Although there is a small difference since the picture is sent compressed.
    Please make sure that you've got a High-DPI session. What do you see in the sessions list in RAS Console (RDSH -> Sessions -> Resolution)?

PatrickD8 likes this.
  5. PatrickD8

PatrickD8 Member

Hi Eugene,
    sorry for the late reply. After doing some research and checking our settings, I found that the GPO that controls the RDP compression algorithm and image quality was responsible for the problem.

Thank you very much for your help !

Best regards
    Patrick

6. Eugene. K.

Hi Patrick,
    nice to hear that! Could you please give me the name of the policy? I'll ask people to update KBs related to High DPI and mention the GPO there.
    Thanks in advance!