Boot Camp Parallel Help

kevin gonzalez

Bit poster
I want to install windows xp using boot camp.
But I dont want to be restarting my computer to switch operating systems.

Can I install xp on a boot camp partition, and still be able to boot it on mac os using parallel?
 
Hello, kevin gonzalez

Please install Windows under Boot Camp.
Then start Parallels Desktop-> Vew Virtual Machine (File -> New VM)-> custom installation-> on the step "Specify the virtual hard disk to be used in the virtual machine" - Boot Camp Partition
After that you will be able to work with your Windows under Boot Camp and Mac simultaneously
 
I'd recommend you to use NTFS unless you have a strong reason for using FAT32. It will work fine either way, but NTFS is somewhat more reliable and allows to use advanced file permissions.

BootCamp is faster because Windows runs natively in the Mac in the same way as any other laptop or PC. When running in a VM Windows shares the computer resources (CPU, memory, hard disk, etc) with the host OS. In other words, you are running two operating systems simultaneously with the same hardware resources.

You can have the BootCamp Windows running in a VM, so you can use Windows normally inside Mac OS. You can always boot Windows natively when you need it to have all resources available.
 
Last edited:
thanks for the info. I installed xp sp3 on a VM and worked perfect. But since I'll be using autocad and other heavy programs I decided to install xp on boot camp and run it over parallels without booting but it was slugish. But I guess it is better to have it installed on boot camp for when those apps start to run really slow on parallels I can run them over boot camp.
 
Back
Top