Arrrrrrrrrrgh.
OK, I think I have successfully migrated the Boot Camp partition on my MacBook into a VM (.pvm file) in my Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard partition. While at this point I'm frankly not completely sure what steps I took to achieve this, I'm still going to try to jot down as much as I can recall. Even if it's no help to anyone else, it might help me out if I ever need to do this again.
The steps I took are probably not the only way to get this done. All I'm trying to do here is describe how I eventually was able to migrate my Windows 7 RC 1 partition to a VM on the OS X side of the MacBook.
To begin with, the help document for Parallels Transporter, while certainly a well-intended effort, is a confusing spaghetti mess of conflicting scenarios. I finally figured out what I needed to do was boot my MacBook to Windows in the Boot Camp partition, install the
Windows version of Parallels Transporter v4.0, and run it.
You should be able to download the Windows version of Transporter from the
download page for Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac. (I'm not linking directly to it because the link will no doubt change if/when a new version is released.)
The screens you see when you run the Windows flavor of Transporter in Boot Camp should look like those described in
this section of the documentation. The process seemed straight-forward enough and ends with the creation of a virtual machine configuration file (.pvs) and a virtual hard disk file (.hdd). I had Transporter store them directly to a USB attached external hard drive.
The next step, where I booted Mac OS X and converted these files into a VM is where I'm not sure what I did. Here's what I recall.
1) I tried starting Transporter in OS X to migrate the .pvs and .hdd files. It would have nothing to do with them. Transporter was apparently looking for files for VM and it did not think that these files were that.
2) I tried opening the files in Parallels 4.0 directly from the NTFS external hard disk I had created them on. That also failed. For some reason Parallels insisted on having write access to these files.
3) So finally I copied the files from the external NTFS drive into a folder on my OS X drive. I think I was then able to File->Open the .pvs file with Parallels.
Whatever I did, it kicked off a relatively lengthy "configuration" process. After this automagic "configuration" completed, I found Parallels had created a .pvm (VM) file in my Parallels directory and also had deleted the folder I had copied the .pvs & .hdd files into.
This VM seemed to function correctly except for the sound. For some reason the input & output for the sound were "blank" in the configuration for the machine. I changed these to select the "defaults" and now sound seems to work OK in the Windows VM.
I also get a warning message when I start the VM that there is too little video RAM. I've been ignoring that since my video needs are small.
That's as far as I have gotten and I think it's also enough for this post.