Boot from hard drive black screen

Mag299

Bit poster
Hello good souls,

I have looked thru the posts to see if my question could be answered, but every one is different from mine in at least one way that does not allow for a solution.
So here goes.

I cannot get past:
lines, no errors, no failed, just six lines, the last one saying
"Boot from hard drive...."

I have tried the iso image I read about on a thread from last year--one, I do not know what an iso image is, or more importantly which file should be chosen--and I do not get what it indicates here that I have copied from the thread:

2 Start the Parallels Image Tool (applications/parallels/parallels image tool). Upon startup, the assistant displays the Welcome dialog. Click Next.

Do not get a welcome--rather an Introduction. Click continue....

3 On the Choose Device Type dialog select the CD/DVD-ROM option and click Next.
Yeah no such choice, just get the opportunity to choose the image file...which I still don't know what it is.

Someone said they added a .iso, but not to what they added it to.

I have a MacBook, running 10.4.11
Have XP home.
Got the dialog for express etc, did all the recommended ones.

Am very very sad--and will appreciate any help!!

Thanks
 
cd/rom failed boot from hard drive

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I backed up both parallel folders (applications and documents)

Then followed these instructions:
For Windows XP virtual machine that uses a virtual hard disk:
Open the virtual machine configuration.
Click the CD/DVD-ROM option to open its settings.
Make sure that "Emulation" is set to "Use CD/DVD-ROM".
Click the "Options" menu on the left side of Configuration Editor.
Choose the "Booting" tab and set "Boot Sequence" to "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy".
Click "OK" to close Configuration Editor.
Insert Windows XP installation disk into your Mac CD/DVD drive.
Start the virtual machine.


At this point I get the same black screen with a new line that says
Boot from CD/DVD ROM drive ....failed
Boot from hard drive.... _


otherwise nothing has changed.

New XP, bought yesterday. New parallels, downloaded Sunday.

The other note about slipstreaming--did not understand it, nor the help page, but will ask if it matters before the black screen is solved?
In anycase, there is the pack on the XP disc, and that is my only copy so I have to assume they are the same--but perhaps there is a way to check that.

Thanks for any help.
 
Please try to install from iso image, please see instructions bellow
1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Fire up a Terminal, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
Writability:
Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command:

$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
Disk /dev/disk1 unmounted

4. Create the ISO file with the dd utility (may take some time):

$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

5. Test the ISO image by mounting the new file (or open with Finder):

$ hdid file.iso

6. The ISO image can then be burnt to a blank CD/DVD.
 
clarification

Hello,
Thanks, but I do not understand the 2 instruction. and I assume by the source you mean the XP disc.

What is a terminal on a Mac (not that I know for PC), where do I find it or the right one to follow the rest of your instructions?

Sorry but you are going to have to talk to me like I don't know how to do more than hit an icon and use a sw program, politely, but assuming I am not a sw technical person.

Thanks.
 
Terminal applications resides in Applications/Utilities
Then
drutil status
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1 <- replace /dev/disk by what you see in output from previous command
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

this will create file.iso in your home folder (username in Finder)
 
Back
Top