I'm not yet 100% sure whether this is a Parallels issue or not, but it is only happening when Parallels is running and only while working in Parallels. I upgraded my Mac Pro (5GB RAM, 2.66GHz) to Leopard and initially everything seemed to be fine. In the last couple of days I have started getting random freezes of the entire system -- suddenly no keyboard or mouse input is possible. I've tried connecting the keyboard and mouse to other USB ports and connecting a different keyboard and mouse but the only thing that helps is pressing the power button for a hard reset.
Things I've checked:
* Direct X is not switched on
* Everything in the Windows Applications folder is deleted
* All available Leopard updates from Apple are installed
* I'm not using Spaces (have two big monitors and don't need it)
One thing I need to check is whether it is connected with sleep mode. I'm not sure about yesterday but today the freeze happened after returning from sleep mode with an XP VM in Parallels active. It did not happen immediately, however, but after working for an hour or so. I used to always shut down Windows and Parallels before sending the Mac to sleep but recently I've become more confident about leaving Parallels open -- maybe I shouldn't be.
Another possible factor is disks spinning down: On Tiger I had set up a cronjob to make sure that no disks would ever spin down, but I've just discovered that updating to Leopard deleted this. I've just reactivated it, maybe it will help. My suspicion is that this is the most likely cause, because I haven't experienced these freezes on my MacBook Pro with Leopard and Parallels and I let that sleep with Parallels open all the time.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Things I've checked:
* Direct X is not switched on
* Everything in the Windows Applications folder is deleted
* All available Leopard updates from Apple are installed
* I'm not using Spaces (have two big monitors and don't need it)
One thing I need to check is whether it is connected with sleep mode. I'm not sure about yesterday but today the freeze happened after returning from sleep mode with an XP VM in Parallels active. It did not happen immediately, however, but after working for an hour or so. I used to always shut down Windows and Parallels before sending the Mac to sleep but recently I've become more confident about leaving Parallels open -- maybe I shouldn't be.
Another possible factor is disks spinning down: On Tiger I had set up a cronjob to make sure that no disks would ever spin down, but I've just discovered that updating to Leopard deleted this. I've just reactivated it, maybe it will help. My suspicion is that this is the most likely cause, because I haven't experienced these freezes on my MacBook Pro with Leopard and Parallels and I let that sleep with Parallels open all the time.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?