Can I boot from a physical hard drive I removed from my Windows desktop? (Parallels 11)

CarderW

Bit poster
My Windows desktop PC has stopped working (bad connection somewhere internally). I have removed the hard drive and have attached it to my mac via an HDD dock. Is it possible to boot from this hard drive in parallels?
 
My Windows desktop PC has stopped working (bad connection somewhere internally). I have removed the hard drive and have attached it to my mac via an HDD dock. Is it possible to boot from this hard drive in parallels?
Hello @CarderW,
You might not be able to use the Windows hardisk as a virtual machine. The only method would be to migrate the working PC as a virtual machine.
 
Hello @CarderW,
You might not be able to use the Windows hardisk as a virtual machine. The only method would be to migrate the working PC as a virtual machine.
I was just watching a video tutorial on this and it looks like I have to run the Transporter Agent from the PC I want to migrate... Since I can't do that, is it possible to apply the Transport to a hard drive? Thanks again!
 
I was just watching a video tutorial on this and it looks like I have to run the Transporter Agent from the PC I want to migrate... Since I can't do that, is it possible to apply the Transport to a hard drive? Thanks again!
I understand your requirement. Please note that a virtual machine can be created only by any one of the following methods,
1. Create a virtual machine directly on the Mac using Parallels Desktop.
2. Using boot camp partition of the Mac.
3. Migrate a Windows PC. This requires the usage of Parallels Transporter agent.
The migration can only be done with the Windows hardisk connected to a working PC. This means that if you could connect your existing hardisk to a working PC, you could try installing the transporter agent to that PC and perform the migration.
Let us know if you have more questions.
 
Back
Top