Can I install Windows 8 Pro from scratch?

SGS2012

Bit poster
Hi,
I'm new to Macs and want to know if after I install PD8 on my new Mac if I can install Windows 8 Pro from scratch - most of the articles mention upgrading to Win8 but not a clean install. Any advice gratefully received - apologies for my ignorance of these things - I've always used Windows PC's but have just moved to MAc.
Thanks
Gary
 
Hi,
I'm new to Macs and want to know if after I install PD8 on my new Mac if I can install Windows 8 Pro from scratch - most of the articles mention upgrading to Win8 but not a clean install. Any advice gratefully received - apologies for my ignorance of these things - I've always used Windows PC's but have just moved to MAc.
Thanks
Gary

Hello SGS2012,

You may refer to this article http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729 for the steps on how to use that Windows 8 pro from scratch. I hope this helps :)
 
Thanks for that - off to get a Macbook Air (I think - can't decide between Pro & Air - don't need space or DVD so Air looks the better option). Hopefully install goes smoothly.....
 
Looks good - been in PC business for 20+ years so need safety net of Windows as never used a Mac but decided to treat myself after buying iPhone - hopefully I'll enjoy the Mac....
 
Last question (hopefully!) - does the Windows install pick up the Apple hardware ok - in particular the wireless adapter as that's the only internet connection method on the Air. If not how do I find out a) what the wireless adapter model is and b)where to get a windows driver.
Thanks
 
windows will see your network connection as an ethernet connection regardless of the type of network connection you use on the mac. all of the mac hardware is virtualized so no need to worry about windows drivers as long as you install the parallels tools (which will run after first bootup of windows).

you can have 3 network connection types:
- shared (uses the mac's network and sets up a NAT translation. the mac will be the "gateway" for windows)
- bridged (uses your network's gateway and tunnels through your mac's network)
- host-only (only allows network connections to/from the mac. no internet access from windows)

i use bridged.
 
windows will see your network connection as an ethernet connection regardless of the type of network connection you use on the mac. all of the mac hardware is virtualized so no need to worry about windows drivers as long as you install the parallels tools (which will run after first bootup of windows).

you can have 3 network connection types:
- shared (uses the mac's network and sets up a NAT translation. the mac will be the "gateway" for windows)
- bridged (uses your network's gateway and tunnels through your mac's network)
- host-only (only allows network connections to/from the mac. no internet access from windows)

i use bridged.


In addition, this info is also available in http://kb.parallels.com/4948

Tony Carreon's post should also explain it all as well..

Keep Safe Everyone :)
 
Back
Top