Can I migrate a boot camp to parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CTNorthShore, Nov 20, 2015.

1. CTNorthShore

CTNorthShore Bit poster

Ultimately, I want to migrate my existing Window 7 Pro boot camp partition to a Parallels VM. I understand that is possible. The problem is I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I cannot upgrade since I have a partition type of MBR and the current release of Mac OS X requires GUID. I don't believe I can change the partition type without wiping both partitions. I want to avoid that. Therefore, is it possible to:

- Install Parallels 9 to migrate my existing Window 7 Pro boot camp partition to a Parallels VM
    - Backup my entire Mac installation including the new Win7 VM
    - Change partition type to GUID and do a fresh install of El Capitan
    - Install Parallels 11
    - Restore the VM from Parallels 9

If anyone has a better way to do this, I'm all ears. Thank you

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello CTNorthShore,
    Yes, this is possible.
    1. To start with, Please follow this article to install Boot camp Partition with Parallels.
    2. Then follow this article and import your Boot camp in to Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
    3. Now take a backup of the virtual machine by copying the .pvm files to your external drive . See this article to know the location of the .pvm files.
    So now you have all your files backed up on your external drive and ready to install El Capitan.
    4. After installing El Capitan, you can just follow this article and install Parallels Desktop 11 and bring the .pvm files which have stored on your external drive.
    It is not needed to restore Parallels Desktop 9 and then install version 11 , since you have the complete .pvm backed-up you can go to Parallels Desktop 11 directly , all that you would need is your Parallels Desktop 9 activation key during the upgrade to version 11.

3. zig

zig Bit poster

Hi Sylvester, CTNorthShore,
    I have almost the same migration issue - thanks for the query and instruction.
    Couple of questions/clarification please:
    - I should install Parallels 9 on OS X 10.6.8 and hence create a .pvm of my bootcamp windows?
    - The same activation key works for Parallels 9 and Parallels 11?
    - Can I use the Parallels 9 downloaded from your website and the Parallels 11 (+Activation Key) from the Apple Store?
    Thanks heaps!
    Macbook Pro 1: Snow Leopard, Bootcamp, WinXP
    Macbook Pro 2: El Capitan +Wish to add Parallels 11, WinXP in VM

4. CTNorthShore

CTNorthShore Bit poster

Hi zig,
    I didn't end up doing this. The plan is valid but it was your point #2 that became an issue - I could not download version 9 of Parallels. Parallels support was not helpful on this point suggesting I buy it locally from a 3rd party supplier. So, I just backed up my files and did a fresh install of Windows once Parallels was installed on my upgraded Mac. Good luck!

5. zig

zig Bit poster

Hi CTNorthShore,
    Thanks for the response - very rare and so quick :)
    - Yes, although PD9 binaries are on their website, who knows if same activation key will be valid for PD11?
    - Also wonder if using older "Parallels Transport Agent.exe" (designed for boot camp) might make a .pvm useable for PD11 VM.
    Any ideas/insight greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again, cheers!
    PS: Are you based in the Crows Nest unit?

6. CTNorthShore

CTNorthShore Bit poster

Hi zig,

I doubt the key for PD9 will work for PD11... I did a whole thing with their online supoprt and the result was the suggestion to go buy PD9 somewhere else. Unfortunatley I don't know enough about PD to answer your other question or offer any further insight.
    Also, not sure what the Crows Nest unit is :)

Good luck!

7. zig

zig Bit poster

Hey there, no worries thanks again.
    Was guessing you're with Comp Troub over on the North Shore there

8. CTNorthShore

CTNorthShore Bit poster

Indeed I am! Although I still don't get the Crow's Nest unit :) All the best

9. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Your situation is a bit critical as your old Mac don't support the current version of Parallels that you own but it has the Bootcamp in it. Usually we suggest usets to import Bootcamp rather than migrating it which is designed for general Windows computers, still it will create a PVM which is compatible with v11 as PVMs are downward and upward compatible. Make sure you refer to this article before you start though.