Can I reinstall Windows on new computer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Parallels User
  • Start date Start date
Hi Lynn, you may need to buy a new copy of Parallels Desktop and Windows if you want to keep using Parallels Desktop and Winodws on your old Mac. But you can transfer the .pvm file from your old Mac to use it on new Mac with a new license key of Parallels Desktop.
 
I am going to purchase a new Mac laptop and will need to reinstall Parallels and Windows. Do I need to purchase a new copy of Windows or can I transfer the entire installation via Time Machine?

thanks in advance.
Yes, you can transfer Parallels Desktop and Windows virtual machine from one Mac to another.
To transfer existing virtual machine to a new Mac, please refer this.
As per Parallels Desktop licensing policy 1 license is for one computer only, please refer this article.
To move Parallels Desktop from one Mac to another, please refer this steps.
 
Hi, I just found this thread and had an additional question, I currently run Parallels 11 on my MacBookPro and would like to install Parallels 11 on my desktop MacMini. I looked at the links about transferring the .pvm file over to the new Mac but the articles all talk about deactivating Parallels on the old computer first. I will buy an additional license for the MacMini so I can run Parallels on both computers. My question is that I presume transferring the .pvm file means that all of the Windows programs, Parallels configuration settings, etc will be transferred so all I have to do on the MacMini is download, install, and activate a new license for Parallels 11, double click the .pvm file that I transferred over and I'm good to go without having to do the complete setup again, correct? Thank you for your assistance.
Hello StephenC3, yes-you are right.
Once you get your new machine install Parallels Desktop and then copy the Windows.pvm to your new machine and double click the pvm file and you will be god to go after installing Parallels tools.
 
Back
Top