Can Parallels Host Windows on Different HD than Mac OS Drive?

Skridlowe

Bit poster
I have a Mac Pro that I've installed a smaller SATA drive in. I used the Bootcamp Assistant to format the drive as one partition. Thus, I have my main Mac OS drive, and a physically separate hard drive (in another drive bay) bootcamped and running Windows 7.

I can boot into Windows 7 on the Mac Pro, and have no problems. When I try to use Parallels to take over the partition, I get an error when Parallels tries to configure the Virtual Machine:

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
Path: '/Users/xxx/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/WDC WD2000JS-55MHB0 (disk1).hdd'

I suspect that this is happening because the partition is located on a physically separate disk. Is this the case, or am I just not going about this correctly?

Mac OS X 10.6.8, Intel 3.2GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 6MB RAM. All updates applied.
Parallels Build 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267; September 7, 2011)

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich
 
Try adding a new virtual machine (install > continue without cd > some options > modify configuration); remove the default hard drive and add a new one that is Boot Camp type, pointed to your win7 partition/hdd.
 
Back
Top