Cannot Boot My VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AlexH6, Dec 13, 2016.

1. AlexH6

AlexH6 Bit poster

I was using my Windows 7 VM as usual. Tonight I received a prompt from SmartGuard asking if I wanted to created a snapshot. I said yes. When the process reached 100% in the process of deleting an old snapshot, it hung. After sifting through many KB articles, I did what one said, which was to force quite the VM process in Activity Monitor.

After doing this, I received a message: "No boot device is available, press Enter to continue." That's just great -_-
    The only KB article I could find on this issue had me disconnect the HDD in settings, close Parallels, then re-add the HDD. This did not work. This is my work computer and I have data that I NEED on this hard drive. How can I fix this quickly?

Support code: 136386638

Attached Files:

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi AlexH6,
    Please locate the 'Windows_name.pvm' file, it is usually located in one of the following directories:
    /username/Documents/Parallels/
    /Users/Shared/Parallels/
    Right click the .pvm file and choose 'Open With -> Parallels Mounter'.
    If virtual machine mounts fine then find the largest .hds file, copy it to .pvm folder and change extension to .hdd (you may rename the file to make it easy to read) in order to restore the data which is not corrupted.

3. DonnelleJ

DonnelleJ Bit poster

My hard drive was full, so I deleted the snapshots. The last one never finished and I can no longer get into windows. Here is my error code 328504811.