Cannot change Windows 10 Product Key in Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JustinJ1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JustinJ1

JustinJ1 Bit poster

I installed Windows 10 through Parallels 11 without enter the product key into the Parallels guide initially because I received an error that the image file could not be found when I did and the Windows install would fail. I read online to just not enter the product key before the install to get around this problem. This worked but now when I go into the windows 10 settings to add the product key, the settings app freezes and I cannot add it. Any help?
    Thanks a lot.

2. GusP

GusP Bit poster

Best Answer
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. RichardK2

RichardK2 Bit poster

Same issue here

4. JeffersonB

JeffersonB Bit poster

I have the same problem.... Cannot activate or enter the correct product key.

5. Guys try the following steps:

1. Make a snapshot (Actions -> Take a snapshot)
    2. Click on the Start button.
    3. In the search box type "regedit" without quotes.
    4. On the top of the list please right click on the "Regedit" and choose run as administrator
    5. In regedit, go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegDone
    Make value equal 1.

and check the issue

6. JeffersonB

JeffersonB Bit poster

Hi Maria - I do not have that key in my registry. I can try adding it. I'm guessing it should be a new Binary value?

7. GusP

GusP Bit poster

Best Answer
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  8. JeffersonB

JeffersonB Bit poster

Thanks, Gus! That worked perfectly for me. Much obliged....

9. ErichV

ErichV Bit poster

Hi folks,
    I have the same problem with freezing settings transaction when I try to change my windows product key for a win 10 guest. I did what Maria sugested, although rather sceptical about this solution.
    But this regedit entry only suppresses the check and the message regarding unregistered window etc. when booting win 10. I can still not replace the license key with a valid one that I bought.
    Ist there a solution for this? Installing the latest patch from parallels today did't help either.