Cannot detect dedicated graphics card only on board

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LloydW, Feb 20, 2017.

1. LloydW

LloydW Bit poster

Hey guys

Installed parallels and a full copy of windows 10, my computer has Intel Iris Pro 1536MB and a AMD Radeon R9 m370X 2048mb on my 15 MacBook pro, however the windows side can only see the on board, well to be honest the only display driver it has is a Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM).

Do I just have to download a driver for it to recognize the dedicated graphics card? or is just a setting I have to change?

please help because the whole reason I got this program is to play windows games, Ive been playing old games like age of empires 2 HD and its been fine. Just purchased Halo Wars 2 and it doesn't work as it says the graphics card doesn't meet the min spec.

Thank you in advance

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you refer to this article to know more about how Parallels Desktop works with graphics cards.

3. LloydW

LloydW Bit poster

The link doesn't go to anything?, Only that the website is overload and try again later..........Been trying all day same answer.

Is there a simple yes it can be done or no it cant????? ive even tried to download the drivers on the window side of things and it does not register that there is a graphics card. I know its a virtual machine but at the same time really silly if the software cant even see the hardware on the laptop.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

The website was under maintenance. You can check the article now.

5. AerialK

AerialK Bit poster

Hi, I know this is an old post but I am currently trying to run Rust through Parallels but is having some major graphics issues. I tested some other games and some came up with an error explaining that my drivers are out of date.
    I have a Macbook pro 2018, Vega 20 GPU and believe that the issues lie with the GPU.
    I've tried updating the drivers within Parallels with the following link https://www.amd.com/en/support. But found that it couldn't recognise my GPU.
    This led me to this forum. There is no option for me to turn on "switching of the GPU". But i have gone into the settings of my mac and made changes so that the primary GPU is the Vega 20.
    Any other ideas of why i can't see my GPU in Parallels?

Update: I found the option in an alternative menu and still can't see the GPU to install the drivers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop will not use the GPU on the Mac side directly.

7. mats3

mats3 Bit poster

I guess I'm having something similar.
    As far as I understand what was said above, there is no way to install f.ex. AMD Radeon software (Adrenaline) on the virtual machine to control/adjust the GPU?
    Have the same issue - Windows 10 64bit, AMD driver installer won't recognize any card although I have the eGPU connected and running (macOS is recognizing it properly).
    I'd be thankful for something more than a one-sentence-reply.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop will not use the graphic card directly. You can refer to this article for more details.