Cannot fix "Unable to connect CD/DVD 1" error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dayhikerd, Aug 20, 2013.

1. dayhikerd

dayhikerd Bit poster

I'm using the latest version of Parallels 8 on a Mac with OS X 10.8.4.

I installed Windows XP from an ISO file. A couple of days later I removed the ISO file from the desktop where it had been for installation. Again a couple of days later I suddenly got the error message "Unable to connect CD/DVD 1" upon the start of Windows XP. I found the document at http://kb.parallels.com/en/112209 but still cannot fix this because when I try to set the DVD drive to "Connected" in the "Hardware" section of "Configure" I get another error message "The image file .../Windows_XP_Pro.iso used by CD/DVD drive 1 does not exist. Do you want to save the virtual machine configuration anyway" If you click Yes now, CD/DVD drive 1 will not be connected at the virtual machine startup."

I put the ISO file back onto the desktop and was now able to set the DVD drive to connected. However, after removing the file again and restarting Windows XP again the game starts again from the beginning with the error message "Unable to connect CD/DVD 1" and so on ...

How can this be fixed?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You just simply change it to connect to the real DVD drive or untick connected.

3. dayhikerd

dayhikerd Bit poster

Thanks. I had just found this myself, too. KInd of obvious and not obvious at the same time...

I wonder what happens on the new iMacs without DVD drive after removing the Windows ISO file (I will have to install Parallels and Windows XP on such a machine later this week). I guess the "Unable to connect" message will pop up there, too. How can I get rid of it in such a case?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Please refer to the second part of my statement: "Untick connected"

5. HannaK

HannaK Bit poster

Hi!

I am all new to this, and maybe you cant help me. But obviously you have passed my stage, so I try.. Where did you get the IOS image or the CD/DVDf from? In my order, it only said that I would have an electronic delivery, so I dont expect to have a CD/DVD in my postmail.. Please help me!:)) I need to know how to create a virtual machine...:)

Thanks!

6. dayhikerd

dayhikerd Bit poster

You probably know that you have to buy any virtual machine operating system separately from buying Paralells Desktop.

I bought Windows XP online, got a physical Windows XP CD with genuine serial number in the mail, created from this CD on my older iMac (with DVD drive) with Disk Utility the ISO image, copied that image file onto a USB stick and from there onto the other, newer iMac (without DVD drive). I then installed Windows XP from this ISO file from within Parallels Desktop as a new virtual machine.

If your Mac has a DVD drive you can install Windows XP, of course, also from within Parallels Desktop directly from the Windows XP CD.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013