Cannot install Windows XP on Parallels 12.2.1 or 13.01

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RobertM30, Sep 13, 2017.

1. RobertM30

RobertM30 Bit poster

I have followed the install instructions for both Parallels and Windows very carefully more than once. Each time at the very end of the process I get a Windows Blue Screen of Death type DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, tech, info: Stop: 0.0000000A.
    My equipment: Mac Pro desktop circa 2012; running OS X 10.12.6; Parallels 12.2.1 (or v. 13.0.1); Windows XP Home Edition (Registered); on a Solid State drive: SSD-960 GB SOLID STATE SATA DRIVE.
    On one occasion attempting to install Windows manually, I got a response "Windows XP does not support SATA". So my questions are:
    1. Is this true?
    2. If so, what do I do about it - Buy Windows 10 and/or install Parallels on a mechanical hard drive partition?
    Thank you. R. Max Wideman

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. RobertM30

RobertM30 Bit poster

Sorry Alfena, I've worked my way through all the steps suggested and tried selecting either "Advanced Settings" as IDE 1:0 or IDE 0:1. On resuming the XP install, both return the same BSOD as before.
    In the process, I also completely uninstalled Parallels 12.2.1 and installed (new) Parallels 13.01 in its place.
    Incidentally, when trying IDE 1:0, I found that it was conflicting with my CD/DVD drive, which was duly changed to avoid this particular conflict.
    Your further advice will be appreciated. R. Max Wideman

4. RobertM30

RobertM30 Bit poster

Follow up! Sorry, I forgot about the advice to ensured that the setting for the number of processors (Recommended number of 2 in the Settings box) is set to "1". I have now corrected that and Windows XP has now installed just fine.
    Thanks for your help! R. Max Wideman

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RobertM30 , we are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.