Cannot Migrate Dell Windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JimmyF, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JimmyF

JimmyF Bit poster

Greetings -

I've been a happy user of Parallels, previously having migrated and used a Dell XP image without a hitch for many months. That includes upgrading my MacBook Air's host OS to Lion. My attempts to migrate a Dell Windows 7 image, however, have met with complete frustration. In short, I cannot get the migrated image to fully boot. When using either the Parallels Transporter or the backup/restore feature in Parallels with an external hard drive, the result is that the guest OS fails to finish the initial "configuration" process, complaining that the image needs to be repaired and then failing the repair process.

Using Acronis to back up the Windows 7 image first and then attempting to restore that image to a Windows 7 guest fails also. In this case the guest OS blue screens on boot up.

The Dell machine is a recent model laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise installed on it.

Is this sort of difficulty in migrating Windows 7 normal? Anyone got any ideas?

This sort of thing us unsupported by my IT department, so I'm completely on my own here. I can't get access to any of the OS DVD's for repair operations, etc.

2. DesertPeacock

DesertPeacock Bit poster

Unable to finish Dell Windows 7 migration configuration

I see that no one replied to the post so I am trying to revive it. I have a similar problem.

I used the transporter agent and a Cat5e cable to migrate my 64bit Dell Inspiron Windows 7 laptop to a new Parallels Desktop 7 vm. I am new to Parallels having just upgraded away from VMware 2.x.

My new Win7 vm showed my logon screen and I would get an error that said, "You need to log in to Windows to complete configuring your virtual machine." However, I can't because windows behaves as if the mouse and KB don't work (with the exception that I can move the pointer around). My guess is that the windows doesn't recognize the Mac's KB and trackpad and needs drivers. So how does one finish the configuration and install the Parallels tools if one can't log in?

I am still under the 30 day phone support (to India with a tier one person who speaks English well enough [better than I speak Indian] but doesn't have a technical clue what he is talking about) and I was told to redo the migration, first making sure that I (on the Dell) disable the windows firewall, UNINSTALL antivirus and UNINSTALL any external video drivers. I was not about to uninstall ANY video drivers. I don't know where that guy came up with that one.

I merely disabled the EndPoint AV and took the extra step of blanking out all passwords on the admin and user accounts. I also disabled the Norton 11 AV on the Mac. One hour later, I had a fresh vm and was still unable to log into the new windows vm.

Anybody out there familiar with this problem and who knows the fix?

3. DirkMS

DirkMS Bit poster

same issue here

I have installed the transporter software on the windows 7 machine - a dell laptop. it works fine so far and an image is archived on external harddisk. but i fail to mount the image on my macbook pro. it always fails to fully boot up stating that the installation must be repaired but it fails subsequently to repair.

I assume it has to do with freaky dell own drivers - any idea how to solve this?

best regards

dirk

4. DirkMS

DirkMS Bit poster

have you solved the issue?

Have you been able to solve the issue? If so I would be interested to learn how to handle this.
    Best regards
    Dirk