Cannot mount BluRay-USB-Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by H.S, Nov 2, 2015.

1. H.S

H.S Bit poster

Hi there,
    I am using the latest Parallels version on OS X El Capitán (latest update). I use an LG BluRay USB Drive to watch movies or to install software. The drive is recognized by Parallels correctly, but everytime I try to mount it in my Windows 7 installation I get the error message that (try to translate it from German into English): The drive cannot be mounted due to a missing file or a missing controller or missing rights.

I don't know what the problem is. I downloaded vmware fusion and installed Windows 7 as well. Mounting the BD drive works well there, so I guess there is a problem with parallels. Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please try this article to fix the issue. The article also applies to USB 2.0

3. H.S

H.S Bit poster

Well, thank you for your help! I tired the article but it did not solve my issue although it is a usb 3.0 lg blu ray drive. Any other ideas?

4. H.S

H.S Bit poster

That's it? No other help?

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please try to connect that USB 3.0 device to the different USB port on your Mac directly (Not connecting USB Hub) and check how it works.

6. H.S

H.S Bit poster

No luck either. Same error message. I do not understand the problem. vmware works flawlessly. :-(

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

8. H.S

H.S Bit poster

Are you kidding me? I filled out the whole support form, wrote a lot to explain the problems and steps already taken. Now I am on the contact details page, filled it out and when I click "Send" nothing happens, the same is shown again. That's the worst support experience ever!
    Perhaps I should just stick with vmware Fusion, which at least works the way it should. So I guess this was the last update of Parallels...

9. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

I am having this same issue. I have external USB 3.0 attached Matshita BD-MLT UJ265 and I get:
    "A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

Tried all available fixes. I think this started after last Parallels 11 update. This is BOTH for my Windows 10 and Windows 7 VMs.

Need my drive back.

10. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

Hello. Trying to get this bumped up. I have checked this on WinXP, Win7, and Win10 virtual machines, with the same result since the latest Parallels update: " A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

I am running on a 2010 iMac, which is obviously USB2.0 only. Again, this began after the latest Parallels updated, previously, it worked flawlessly to have my External USB Blu-Ray work in any Parallels machine (WinXP, Win7, or Win10).

Something got broken in the latest update. I need my drive back, as Apple doesn't support Blu-Ray, and so I MUST run it under Windows for my particular Use-case.

The drive in question is a Matshita BD-MLT UJ265 connected via USB from a NewerTech MiniStack MAX enclosure to iMac USB2.0 port. Again, this has worked for as LEAST 2 years now, flawlessly in Windows 7 VM, and then even on the upgraded Windows 10 VM until the recent Parallels update.

11. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

Also, I had the same experience trying to create a ticket for support. When I click the "Send", nothing happens, so it seems not possible to create a ticket from either Safari or Firefox on Mac OSX El Capitan.