Cannot mount Windows VM in OS X Yosemite

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Gareth_Davies, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Laura1

Laura1 Bit poster

I have exact same problem. Yosemite 10.10.4, Parallels 10.2.2 (29105). Yesterday morning I still had my C drive showing up in the mac finder, during the afternoon it disappeared, and I have checked and done the steps above, and it hasn't helped. I also get the same error message that Paul_Reynolds posted on Nov 24, 2014. Colleagues suggest reinstalling Parallels, but this just feels an unbearable last resort. :(

2. Laura1

Laura1 Bit poster

Trying to think of anything else that had been possibly changed on my mac, I remembered that I had added an extra line to my /private/etc/hosts file yesterday sometime - so I reinstated the default version from http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/edit-hosts-file-mac-os-x/ - then restarted parallels... and I now have a C drive showing up in the finder!! Coincidence? :)

DanielM2 and JamesW1 like this.
  3. FerranG

FerranG Bit poster

I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but this has not worked for me. What's more, if it worked for you because you restored a "clean" hosts file, then that's a bug: there's no reason why you should not be able to add lines to hosts file, after all that's the way it is supossed to work.

BTW, you say "I restarted Parallels", so I guess you are talking about you were not able to see the [C] drive corresponding to your VM when you have it active, while running it with Parallels, but mine is a different problem: I cannot mount the virtual disk drive with Parallels Mounter so I can access it without having to run it with Parallels.

Saluditos,

Ferran.

4. Systems_Team

Systems_Team Bit poster

We are seeing the same problem here on 3 different Mac's. It's very intermittent and causes a lot of headaches for my end users. I;ve had a support call with Parallels and they confirmed it was a bug which would be fixed in future releases. This was back in December last year and looks like it might have been fixed in the latest release.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/122720

This has not been the case and I was wondering when this may be resolved once and for all. Seems a shame that a core functionality of the product does not work.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  5. JamesW1

JamesW1 Bit poster

Laura1 - thank you so much for posting this! I was remapping localhost in OS X (to access a website in my Windows VM) and the VM drive mounting stopped working. Reverting the hosts file & it's mounting again - woo! I can't tell you frustration it's caused & Parallels support have been less than helpful.. I'm SO PLEASED you posted this fix!

6. GerganaY

GerganaY Bit poster

I see the same problem. I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Parallels Desktop 10, version 10.2.2. I tried all the above suggestions but nothing worked! I cannot open xls and word files from windows HD folder but the problem does not exist if I open files from shared folders.
    I will appreciate your help on the issue.

7. Guys, please try the steps below:

1. Start your Windows virtual machine -> click on Start and type in the "Search" box "cmd" -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator (for more information please see the screenshot in the attachment)
    2. In the Command prompt window please type the following command:
    sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    3. Once the system scanning finished please restart your VM and check the issue.

8. GerganaY

GerganaY Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I did the steps as described by yourself but the issue still exists - I cant open files from windows HD and I don't see windows HD on Mac's desktop and in finder.

Gergana

9. Could you please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report ID number.

10. GerganaY

GerganaY Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I have already generated problem 71892168 on 16.08.2015 for the same issue.

Gergana

11. DanielM2

DanielM2 Bit poster

Thank you for this!

12. Thanks a lot! Did you try to mount the Windows HD to your Mac and have the same issue?

13. Edelune

Edelune Bit poster

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015