Cannot view USB HDD connected to Windows

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rexie, Dec 18, 2022.

1. rexie

rexie Junior Member

I have a 2TB USB HDD connected to my Mac. I can connect to it and view it via Finder in OSX. This shows the various files and confirms NTFS format. I cannot write to it from the Mac.
    When I swap the device to Parallels nothing shows in file explorer. I have used Windows 'device manager' to scan for hardware changes and it shows an error for the HDD ie - 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. I checked the driver for the HDD and it's up-to-date.

In the past, I have connected this HDD to Windows without a problem. I am not sure what has changed. What do i need to do to solve this?

2. DavidH100

DavidH100 Bit poster

Anyone on this? I have the same issue with a different device.

3. DavidH100

DavidH100 Bit poster

Disabled USB 3.1 on the VM and my device started to work again.

4. rexie

rexie Junior Member

What do you mean 'disabled USB 3.1'? How do you do that?

I contacted support about my issue and they simply referred to:

Please refer to the instructions mentioned in the below KB article to know more about connecting USB devices to multiple operating system.
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/118689
    Please refer to the instruction mentioned in the below kb article to connect an external device directly to my virtual machine
    https://kb.parallels.com/122993

This was not a solution and the last communique was to set up a phone call with them.

In the meantime, I have actually found a work around by changing my screen set up. I usually use screen share from an iMac to a Mac Mini via Wifi (and connect the USB device to the Mac Mini). In this scenario, I cannot swap the USB HDD to Windows. When I connect the Mac Mini direct to a portable screen, I can swap the USB device seamlessly between the Mac and Windows (using the 'Devices\USB & Bluetooth' option). Maybe this means there is a delay in reading the device when on WiFi?

5. PranathiSS

PranathiSS Bit poster

If you're having trouble viewing a USB HDD connected to a Windows computer, there are a few steps need to try:
    1) Check the connection
    2) Check Disk Management
    3) Check Device Manager
    4) Try a different computer
    5) Check for hardware problems