Can't Delete Snapshot PLR_ERR_DISK OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristianE2, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ChristianE2

ChristianE2 Bit poster

I am trying to delete a couple of snapshots in my Windows 8.1 installation and keep getting the error PRL_ERR_DISK OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Christian
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.45.49 PM.png

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ChristianE2, we recommend you to merge those snapshots as suggested in this article. Because when you delete an intermediate snapshot, the information it contains is merged into the next snapshot.

3. ChristianE2

ChristianE2 Bit poster

Thank you! However, I get an error message when I follow these instructions. It simply says "Unable to merge snapshots."
    Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 6.38.43 AM.png
    P.S.: I really don't care about preserving any of the snapshots. I never meant to create the intermediate snapshot like that. It somehow happened when I upgraded Windows to Windows 10 and then went back to a previous snapshot to undo the upgrade. I am just trying to reclaim some disk space.

4. nabila1

nabila1 Bit poster

I'm getting same error PLR_ERR_DISK OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED.

Also it fails to start the vm while I have disk space

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 2.31.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 2.35.36 PM.png

5. BulentA

BulentA Bit poster

Hi
    I have the same problem, please for urgent help !

6. Guys, please generate the Problem report using these steps and reply us back with the report ID

7. poksh

poksh Bit poster

I'm getting same error PLR_ERR_DISK OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED, and also it fails to start the vm while I have disk space, my report id is 300616617

8. PaulD16

PaulD16 Bit poster

Having the same issue there is no KB 111736 any longer to reference. Help! please...

9. Hello,
    please make a backup copy of your VM before performing the steps below.
    1. Locate your Virtual machine in Finder

2. Right click on the *.pvm file of your virtual machine -> choose Show Package Contents

3. In Mac OS X, go to Applications > Utilities and launch Terminal. Type the following but do not execute:

prl_disk_tool merge --hdd

4. Drag the *.hdd file into Terminal and drop it right next to "prl_disk_tool merge --hdd ". In Terminal you will see something like this:

prl_disk_tool merge --hdd /Users/Username/Documents/Parallels/Windows\ 7.pvm/Windows\ 7-0.hdd

Note: There should be a space between '--hdd' and 'Users/Username...'

5. Press Enter/Return key to run the command and merge the snapshots.

6. In the same directory (inside Virtual Machine's bundle) delete Snapshots.xml file