can't install El Cap with Parallels 15

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by CharlieJ2, Oct 29, 2019.

1. CharlieJ2

CharlieJ2 Bit Poster

i downloaded the free trial of Parallels 15 to try to set up a VM with El Cap for a couple of applications that won't work on anything after that OS version that I need for work stuff. i got Parallels installed (machine is running Mojave), downloaded El Cap from my purchases, created the blank VM and it saw the installer and made the image it said it needed. it boots up into the whole Mac Recovery looking screen and lets me select to install the OS. then after about 10 minutes it craps out saying
    If I let it reboot it just tries again and the same result.
    I've deleted the attempted VM, deleted the installer app and redownloaded it. I even tried to clone an old VM from when I used Parallels 12 and it opened fine but wouldn't install any updated OS versions.
    all the instructions online say it should just work but it's not.

2. CharlieJ2

CharlieJ2 Bit Poster

whoops. somehow I deleted the error. it was "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install"

3. MogensG

MogensG Bit Poster

I have the same problem, running under Catalina 10.15.1 Parallels 15.1.1, it stops in the middle of the installation with an error like yours. Any help is much appreciated. I'm runing Windows 10 and Ubuntu without problems and have lots of free disk space.

4. Kevin40

Kevin40 Bit Poster

I have the same problem. I downloaded El Capitan from this site: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206886. I have a feeling this is an upgrade version, and that the VM install is looking for an eligible version to upgrade. But I may be mistaken, I'm no IT expert.

5. MarkW27

MarkW27 Bit Poster

I have the same problem now.

Since I was able to create new El Capitan instance several weeks ago (not sure if it was on PD 14 or 15), I thought downgrading to PD 14 might work, only to see the same error unfortunately.

6. HarrisonM1

HarrisonM1

The next time I read a blog, Hopefully it won't fail me as much as this one. I mean, Yes, it was my choice to read, but I genuinely thought you would probably have something helpful to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something you could fix if you weren't too busy seeking attention.
    service host local system high cpu

7. Thommy_

Thommy_ Bit Poster

Did anybody solve this?

8. Thommy_

Thommy_ Bit Poster

9. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Bit Poster

I can't get El Capitan installed in a Guest OS.
    I downloaded El Capitan directly from Apple and followed the instructions to create a bootable usb drive.
    (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372)
    The installation starts until the first reboot and than the installation stops with an error message.
    Parallels 15.1.4 (247270)
    macOS Catalina 10.15.6
    Mac mini (2018)

10. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Bit Poster

By the way, I tested the USB drive on an older Mac mini (2012) and the stick was absolutely bootable.