Can't install Parallels Desktop 6

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RuiB, Sep 18, 2010.

1. RuiB

RuiB Bit poster

When I try to install Parallels Desktop 6, before starting, it shows me a window about Conflicting Applications. It tells me "To continue the installation, quit the following applications:" and the only item on the list is Parallels Virtual Machine.
    Well, I don't have any virtual machine running. I even restarted my computer and started a whole new installation process but it prevents me from doing so with the same issue.
    What could be happening and what it the solution?

Rui Batista

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Is Parallels Desktop running? Does Activity Monitor show any tasks that start with prl_ ? View all process to make sure.

3. markshe

markshe Bit poster

I have similar problem. I have a clean install 10.6.4 Mac Pro with data files copied over. I get "Conflicting Applications" with "Parallels Desktop for Mac" listed twice along with 7 other Parallels application beginning with Virtual Machine and ending with Server Explorer. tried the un-installer it ends with "Uninstall Failed The Parallels Desktop is not installed.", which of course is true, I have tried to install it under a new user and got same results.

Any ideas how Parallels installer detects applications are installed?

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What's the exact error message? Does it say these apps are running? If the apps are running then you need to quit them. Also try restarting the computer.

5. markshe

markshe Bit poster

What's the exact error message? see enclosed pic,

Does it say these apps are running? nope, can't get them installed

If the apps are running then you need to quit them. non running

Also try restarting the computer. restarted

Attached Files:

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Look at Activity Monitor for all processes to see if they are really not running. Are you running multiple users? Log out everyone else first. Are you installing from the downloaded Parallels .dmg file?

Is the .dmg ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11822.604190.dmg ?

Is /Library/Parallels/ empty? Do you have multiple hard drives or partitions mounted? Maybe unmount everything except your Mac OS X disk and the Parallels disk image.

7. markshe

markshe Bit poster

Look at Activity Monitor for all processes to see if they are really not running. really not running, they have never been installed on this computer
    Are you running multiple users? nope .
    Are you installing from the downloaded Parallels .dmg file? yes

Is the .dmg ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11822.604190.dmg ? yes

Is /Library/Parallels/ empty? does not exist

Do you have multiple hard drives or partitions mounted? yes
    Maybe unmount everything except your Mac OS X disk and the Parallels disk image. can't, boot drive is not large enough for user files, it is a SSD. I tried as another user, both with admin rights

8. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

How large is the SSD? How much free space is on the SSD? I think Parallels is about 425 MB. Is /Applications on the SSD?

You are saying /Users is on a 2nd disk? How did you set that up?

Could you put /Users back on the SSD (without your user files) and try installing again?

How big is the 2nd hard drive? Is it big enough for a 2nd installation of Mac OS X? You could install Mac OS X to a new partition on the 2nd disk (shrink the existing partition). Then see if you can install Parallels to that partition. Then maybe you could move the installation to the first partition. You can see where stuff is installed by selecting "Show Files" in the File menu of the installer but I don't know if that's enough to make it work.

9. markshe

markshe Bit poster

How large is the SSD? 120 GB
    How much free space is on the SSD? 38 GB
    I think Parallels is about 425 MB. Is /Applications on the SSD? yes

You are saying /Users is on a 2nd disk? How did you set that up? doing a right click on on user name in accounts system pane logged in as another user, then change user's home directory to 2nd disk. I only change location of that user (I do this to every user on boot disk). Very handy if you blow up your computer on a regular basis, just install OS and apps and away you go (I make a disk image of boot drive) , no need to copy data, and if you kill the user library (which I do) you have an instant clean install with all data intact.

can I install parallels to run with all users? that might solve all problems

Could you put /Users back on the SSD (without your user files) and try installing again? i can create new user. changing user information (after account is active and being used) is bound to become a problem down the line.

How big is the 2nd hard drive? 2 TB
    Is it big enough for a 2nd installation of Mac OS X? I thought of that, can't boot to 2nd drive because I use the same path as the 'normal' users on boot disk, permissions would quickly become a problem. You could install Mac OS X to a new partition on the 2nd disk (shrink the existing partition). Then see if you can install Parallels to that partition. Then maybe you could move the installation to the first partition. I have third disk I can use that Is a 40 GB SSD, currently used as a scratch disk. I'll copy via Carbon Copy Cloner the boot drive and install parallels on that one if the above ideas don't pan out.

10. superposed

superposed Bit poster

I had a similar problem with the latest update (Build 6.0.11828; Revision 615184; November 2, 2010). At first the installer showed Parallels Desktop and Parallels Virtual Machine running (I had quit all Windows programs, but Parallels was still running in coherence mode). I quit Parallels Desktop, and the installer still showed Parallels Virtual Machine running. I restarted Parallels Desktop, but didn't start any virtual machines. After a minute or so, Parallels Virtual Machine disappeared from the "Conflicting Applications" list in the installer dialog box. Then I quit Parallels Desktop, and the installer was happy to proceed. So maybe you just need to wait a couple of minutes after closing the virtual machine?