Can't install virtual machine from pc to my Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ZaidatB, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 3 days to transfer my Windows Vista Home Edition PC to my new iMac that has an operating system of OS Lion 10.7.2 via the network connection. It would load and work and then quit, saying that the transfer could not be made. So I hooked up an external hard drive to my PC and proceeded to download the contents to the external drive. After 6 attempts, my PC finally transferred to the external drive. Now I have connect the external drive to my mac, I can see the virtual machine there. But when I try to transfer, I get the following error repeatedly (this is after is acts like it is transferring fine for 2 hours)

"An error occurred while adding the virtual machine.

Unable to add the virtual machine because some of its files are read-only or the specified path does not exist. Make sure that the path is valid and you have the write permission for the virtual machine files and folder and try again."

Because it was just saying that it could not transfer and it would immediately go back a step. This error is new. I am not sure what to do. I really need this to work because I need to be able to use Stamps.com on this Mac.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

And now I get this error. I have the latest version of Parallels installed.

Unable to get write access to the virtual hard disk. Do you want to open it in the read-only mode?

To be able to modify the virtual hard disk contents, you must have read-write permissions for its file.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Copy the file to you Mac disk before attempting to run it, I think the problem is because the external drive is NTFS formatted and OSX can't write to it.

4. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

Thank you for your response. Forgive me for my ignorance, I am not quite sure how to copy to Mac disk. Do I just copy it and paste it in applications?

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Copy and Paste it to Documents/Parallels.

6. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

I will try that now. Thank you, will update to let you know how it goes.

7. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

New error after copying:

The Finder cant complete the operation because some data in Windows Vista2.pvm cant be read or written.
    (Error code -36)

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

this error mans the file is corrupted.
    I have one question - were you trying to run virtual machine straight from HD or did you try to migrate it with Parallels Desktop option available fron menu File > New > Migrate > Hard Drive?
    Try the second option with Migration. If it doesn't work i suggest you to start migration all over again as file may be corrupted. NTFS format of external Hard Drive should not affect migration in fact. Clean up your PC before migration, get rid of everything you don't actually need and run check disk - open Command Prompt, type "chkdsk /r" press enter and restart your PC. this may help

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I have no idea what happened. I think you should start over following closely the instructions provided in the user manual.

10. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

I used the second option. When I try to run chkdsk I get this error:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Test>chkdsk/r
    Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

C:\Users\Test>

I don't understand since I am the sole user and admin on the computer. Searched Google and I just had to runs as admin.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Select to start the command prompt with "Run as Administrator..." or something similar from the right click menu over the command prompt short cut (it has a shield besides it).

12. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

Chkdsk returns the following error:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Test>chkdsk/r
    Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

C:\Users\Test>

I know this does not involve Parallels so I will search for a fix. This is so frustrating.

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I hope this helps:

[​IMG]

14. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

Sorry, I posted the wrong code. The code I get now is "The type of the file is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

When I restart it, it still does not work. I might have to pony up the $200 to buy Windows7:(

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You have to press Y (yes) and reboot, check disk needs total access to the system, so it will run automatically on next boot before booting Windows completely.

16. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

After three reboots it finally worked. I am transferring my PC to my hard drive now and will try again. Crossing my fingers that it works so I can put my laptop away and enjoy my new Mac.

17. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

Ran chkdsk /r successfully. I was able to transfer to the hard drive successful. Tried to open with Parallels again, and still getting the same permission error.

18. YanaYana

YanaYana

Did you try to copy file to Mac hard drive?

19. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

Yes, I did. Same error after it gets to about 20%.

20. ZaidatB

ZaidatB Junior Member

I just went ahead and purchased windows 7 and parallels 7 in a bundle off of Amazon. I need this to work asap so I figured that was probably the easiest solution for me. I appreciate you guys trying to help me troubleshoot!