Can't open hdd on Windows after disk optimization.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GermanK, Jun 17, 2019.

1. GermanK

GermanK Bit poster

Hi,
    A few days ago I saw a suggestion to optimize my HDD image in Windows. It is my work hard drive(disk D), I clicked yes and on the next day when I tried to open the disk in Windows, it tells me that it's not formatted. When I try to connect hdd from Mac, I see this message . I tried to restore from the terminal using this command "prl_disk_tool check --hdd" but there is no result. When I tried to see this image in the text editor, I saw that there is text information, so I think files are there but maybe the file system is corrupted. Is there another way to restore this image? It's very important because of there 200Gb information for 10 years. Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 9.20.30 PM.png

2. You can try to create new empty Vm and add your hard drive to it, just for check.

3. GermanK

GermanK Bit poster

I tried, but HDD file system looks like RAW and windows suggested to format it first

4. And did you try the following steps?

- Create a new VM.
    - Configure it any way you want, and get it to the point where you are ready to install the guest OS (presumably Windows).
    - Before installing the guest OS, edit the VM by clicking on the edit button, then click "Add..." beneath the property table.
    - Click "Next", then select "Hard Disk", then "Use an existing hard disk image".
    - Browse to your previous virtual hard disk (the one with the data you want to recover) and choose "Finish".
    - Install the guest OS. Be careful not to install it on the virtual hard disk that you are trying to recover.
    - When you boot into your new installation of Windows, open Explorer, and notice that your old virtual hard disk is mounted and that all your old data is accessible.

please do not forget to make a backup copy if your hdd file

5. GermanK

GermanK Bit poster

Thank you for detail steps, I think I did that but the HDD file system looks RAW and I can't open it in Explorer. Here are some screenshots of my case(sorry for Russian version Windows, I haven't another at the moment). Also, I tried to restore data using programs for that, but they can't restore the folders structure and file names, only the file's body and there are 100K+ files. Is exist another way to restore info? I've created a backup of this HDD image.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.40.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.40.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.55.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.56.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.57.19 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 10.14.37 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 10.15.03 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 10.15.45 AM.jpg