Can't rename VM

Raoul

Bit poster
When I try to rename one of my VMs using the Configuration option, I get a message saying "This operation cannot be performed. You are not authorized to perform this operation." My file permissions are in order, so I don't see what else the problem could be.
I'm trying this with the VM shut down, by the way.
Strangely, I *was* able to rename a second VM (actually, a backup of my first).
Any ideas? Thanks.
 
Thanks. I got through those steps just fine, but then I hit a snag at the end when I got the message saying, "The disk you are trying to connect is encrypted and cannot be added. Encrypted virtual hard disks cannot be used by non-encrypted virtual machines." It's true that the VM hard drive is encrypted.

When I tried this via the configuration interface (before contacting you), I was asked for the encryption password, which I provided.

In trying the method you describe, though, I don't recall being asked to provide the password.

QUESTION: Do I need to decrypt the hard drive that I want to move? I'd rather not.

Thanks for your help.
 
Here's another catch: I currently don't have room on my real machine's hard drive to decrypt this virtual machine. So if decryption is required before renaming, then I may be stuck with the old name.
 
Hello? Anybody there? (Sorry for my impatience. Our first date went so well that I was sure you'd call.o_O )
 
Well, I managed a work-around, although I would still like to know the orthodox way to do this.

What I did was:

(1) (Perhaps unnecessary) Since VM was encrypted, checked "Remember this password" when I logged on.
(2) Copy the entire (80Gb!) VM's .pvm file to another hard drive as a backup.
(3) Then, on my primary hard drive, manually renamed the VM's .pvm file from Win7-Parallels.pvm to Win10-Parallels.pvm.
(4) I was able to open the renamed *.pvm file, which showed up in the Parallels control center. Once it was opened, but before I started the VM, I was able to use Parallels' configuration options (under the cogwheel of the Parallels control center) to change the VM's display name to correspond to the filename (i.e., Windows 10 instead of Windows 7).

As I say, I'd like to know a cleaner way to do this, if there is one.
 
Last edited:
Guys, did you try to repair Disk Permission in Disk Utilities and the rename your VM?
Anyway, @Raoul thanks a lot for the provided information and workaround.
 
good morning .....I have followed instruction sto switch off/suspend VM and change the name of my VM but it is still greyed out even though the other changes can be made ?
 
Back
Top