Can't save/resume a game on Parallels 9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tra895, Oct 9, 2013.

1. tra895

tra895 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm using the latest version of Parallels 9 with Windows 7 Ultimate installed (with all the latest updates) on the newest iMac 27". I bought the game Rayman Legends. It works and looks amazing, but I'm unable to autosave/resume my games. It's greyed out. I contacted Ubisoft, but they replied that they don't support the game on virtual machines. Since the game is working flawlessly except the saving issue I'm assuming this is some type of permission problem. I tried to reinstall the game as administrator, but that didn't help. I read that the saved games folder should be here: C:->Users->"myname"->Documents->Rayman Legends but it's not.

I would be really happy if you could help me solve this problem. Otherwise I'll have to use bootcamp and that's not why I bought my iMac :)

Thanks!

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

By default Parallels Desktop VMs are configured to share user profile between Mac and Windows. This means your desktop and documents folders reside on Mac side and are redirected from VM via shared folders feature. Folder redirection uses UNC paths and is not specific to a VM, the same mechanism is used to share user profiles across Windows network. The problem is some applications handle UNC paths poorly and fail to read or write files, Rayman Legends suffers it too.

What you need to do is to disable Documents folders sharing so that Windows uses Documents folder on its own virtual disk. Untick this checkbox:
    VM Configuration > Options > Sharing > Configure... > Documents
    The interesting thing is that Rayman Legends seem to save to UNC path just fine, but it fails to read saved games back. So you likely already have your progress saved, you can move it to where the game will find it:
    - open Windows Explorer and navigate to \\psf\Home\Documents (this is your Mac Documents seen from VM), you should find Rayman Legends folder there
    - move game folder to C:\Users\<username>\Documents

You may also let Ubisoft know what their problem is.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    GarethL3 likes this.
  3. tra895

tra895 Bit poster

Thank you so much, that worked! I'm very grateful! Should I experience any problems later since I don't share "my documents" anymore?

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

You should have no problems as long as you remember where your documents are. Folder sharing is only a matter of convenience.

5. GarethL3

GarethL3 Bit poster

9 years later - and I had a similar problem to the OP. I was playing Civilization 6 via Steam on Windows 11 running in Parallels 18 for (M1) Mac and I just couldn't get it to save games. Then I found & tried serv's solution - worked perfectly. Thanks :)

6. BobA3

BobA3 Bit poster

I just added parallels with windows 11 on my M1 laptop and I am also have the problem playing Civ IV Beyond the Sword. I could not figure out how to follow the above instructions. Would you please outline step by step how to do it. Where are the updates being made, on Parallels or Mac and where...Thanks in advance for your help.

7. Dreamcore018

Dreamcore018 Bit poster