Can't update to Windows 8.1 (Parallels 10)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DanyaalQ, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DanyaalQ

DanyaalQ Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm new to Parallels so go easy on me please :)
    I have a product key for Windows 8 Pro and used it to install Windows 8 on my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina. The installation worked fine and I downloaded a TON of windows updates. Now my issue is that I can't download/install Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store. It just doesn't show up and when I go on the Microsoft website to install windows 8.1, it directs me back to the Windows Store where it says the following, "Sorry, this update isn't available for your PC, or you might be running an edition of Windows that doesn't support updating from the Store".
    Can someone please help me with this because I can't stand Windows 8 and 8.1 is a lot better.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has already been answered!

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi DanyaalQ,
    Please follow the steps suggested below:
    1. Go to VM config as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > Network > Change network mode shared networking mode to Default adapter.
    2. Restart the virtual Machine.
    3. Run Windows updates again > Restart Windows 8 Virtual Machine.
    4. Once it is restarted please try to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and let us know how it works.

3. DanyaalQ

DanyaalQ Bit poster

Hi Ram, Thanks for the quick reply!
    I followed those steps, changed my network mode. Restarted the VM, Ran windows updates again (there weren't any) then restarted again for good measure but it still doesn't allow me to update and comes up with the same message.

4. Ram@Parallels

Hi DanyaalQ,
    OS updates often require more memory than "ordinary" applications. Increasing the virtual machine memory to 2GB or 4GB may enables the update to run. To increase the RAM, shut down Windows 8 > Go to Virtual Machine configuration as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > CPU & RAM > increase the RAM > Start Windows 8 to check if the issue still persisting.

5. DanyaalQ

DanyaalQ Bit poster

Hi Ram, I've set the RAM to 4GB now and I'm also running Windows in full screen mode but once again, to no avail. Is this something you have come across before ?

6. Ram@Parallels

Hi DanyaalQ, Please check your inbox and respond.

7. MarquisK

MarquisK Bit poster