Caps Lock not working in Snow Leopard within Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by J.C3, Dec 15, 2015.

1. J.C3

J.C3 Bit poster

I'm running the latest version of Parallels with the latest update applied. The problem I'm having is that Caps Lock doesn't work at all. It doesn't matter whether it's turned on or off, it isn't reflected in the guest OS (Snow Leopard). I updated the Tools just to make sure it wasn't that, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi,
    If you want to effectively use Shift key to turn off CapsLock instead of CapsLock key, do the following:
    - Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
    - Type in the following command and hit 'Enter':
    defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.CAPSLOCK Sync' -bool false
    - This command will disable automatic CapsLock synchronization between Host OS and Guest OS and will allow them to have different capslock states.

3. J.C3

J.C3 Bit poster

Thanks, but I've tried that. The issues isn't the caps lock isn't syncing, it's that it isn't working at all. Whether I turn Caps Lock on or off, I only get lowercase letters.

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    Go to the Parallels Desktop menu > Preferences > Shortcuts tab > System Shortcuts > set 'Send System Shortcuts' option to 'Always'. Restart Virtual Machine and check if the issue still persisting.

5. J.C3

J.C3 Bit poster

Unfortunately, that didn't help.

6. J.C3

J.C3 Bit poster

I was told by support that this is a known bug and they're working on fixing it.

7. GregoryG2

GregoryG2 Bit poster

Hi, more than two years after this bug still exists, somebody has a fix ? it is very annoying !

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GregoryG2, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here. So that we can check and help!