Caps Lock sticks permanently

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hschneider, Oct 18, 2011.

1. oliversl

oliversl Junior Member

At last! Solved!
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/113905

My problem was that WinXP was setup to enable CAPSLOCK when the Shift key is pressed once. It seems that Parallels has setup the keyboard like this after the Transporter was used to migrate the VM. I have never setup the CAPSLOCK feature like that before, so I think is a problem with parallels 7.

After I enabled that the CAPSLOCK keyboard enabled the caps, the problem was solved.

2. StefanB11

StefanB11 Bit poster

It seams to be connected on the status of CAPS-LOCk during boot of the guest. If CAPS-LOCK is on during boot, the behavior is reversed. It solves for me when I unset CAPS-LOCK (LED off) and reboot the guest.

3. macsrwe

macsrwe Junior Member

I have a related problem. I have a MacOS host and an older version MacOS guest, in order to run some obsolete software. Not only does caps lock not sync properly, but it appears to insist on turning itself on in real time while I am typing! For example, I am at the login screen and the uparrow (caps lock indicator) already shows in the password field. I turn it off by tapping the caps key. I type one, maybe two characters of the password, and it reappears. (My physical key LED is showing none of this.) I have to keep tapping the shift key to shut it off every couple characters of my password that I type. Sometimes I can successfully login that way, other times, I can't.

I have found that if I keep tapping the shift key without any other key, the caps lock indicator on the screen toggles every two taps. Bizarre.

I ran the terminal command (in this thread) to unsync the caps lock key, but see no difference.

Early on I set the keyboard and mouse in Control Center not to attempt to automatically detect gaming, and I thought this had solved it, but it came back.

This is maddening and is keeping me from using my VM because I can't log in.