CD/DVD driver can't load successfully in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, May 21, 2012.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

Up until today, I had zero problems with the virtual CD/DVD drive. Now, I can't mount any disks or any images. Checking the Device Manager, I get the little warning symbol on the "Matshita DVD-R UJ-898 ATA Device". The properties say: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I've tried removing and re-adding the CD/DVD drive in the PD VM configuration, I've tried removing and reinstalling Parallels Tools (had to call Parallels support to find out how to do this since I can't mount an .iso image). I've tried changing how the drive is connected. I've run the Win 7 troubleshooter. No matter what I do, I cannot get the drive back.

Here are the only things I can think of left: I did run Windows Update this morning and installed about a month's worth of security updates. I'm also using Virtual Clone Drive by Slysoft to mount multiple .iso images. Strangely enough, in the Device Manager, "Elby Clonedrive SCSI CdRom Device" also indicates a registry problem. Uninstalling that doesn't fix the problem either.

I think I'm left with reinstalling Windows, but I'm not even sure that will do anything since this seems to be just a driver issue.

Any ideas at all?

Steve

2. mmika

mmika Pro

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Unfortunately, that's a Vista-only solution, not Win 7. I did not have the "LowerFilters" in my registry, and Parallels support recommended against deleting just the "UpperFilters". I ended up reinstalling Windows, which did fix the problem.

But why can't Microsoft let you reinstall the OS without trashing all your programs and settings? A rant for another day, I guess...

Steve

4. gblotter

gblotter Bit poster

Had same problem - found solution for me

So I had the same problem and found a Website that gave the following solution:

For me, I didn't have a "lowerFilter" but I did delete the upper, restarted the machine, and suddenly I had access to that CD ROM drive again, which allowed me to reinstall parallels tools, and fixed my even bigger problem of having several hardware devices (including my NIC (Internet)) not have drivers in my Device Manager.

I hope that this helps others as well.

5. RickKC

RickKC Bit poster

This is somewhat related, so I'll post it here. (Parallels 8, Windows 7 64-bit). I had been using an ISO image and went back to use the Real CD-DVD drive. Two possibilities in the sub-menu: "Default CD/DVD" or "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898" I picked "Default CD/DVD" and Windows 7 64-bit busily tried installing drivers, but ended up with"No driver for MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898 ATA Device". However, if I explicitly pick "MATCHITA DVD-R UJ-898" no driver installation attempt and it works fine.