Cisco IP Communicator & Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Daleski75, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

Running the latest and greatest Parallels 7 which is fantastic however something which used to work pretty well under PD6 now doesn't work at all.

Cisco IP Communicator 7.0.5.0 and also 8.1.6.0 both say they cannot find a compatible sound card and upon googling this it states that the following.

This behavior is observed when a user attempts to install or use the IP Communicator on a system that has different names for the Playback (wave out) and Recording (wave in) devices.

Is there anyway to modify this so it reports the same as it did on PD6?

Running PD7 on MBA with Lion 10.7.2
    Windows 7 x86 Guest with 1GB RAM

2. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

This is a VOIP software by Cisco which we use in our company not VPN ;)

3. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello,

In order to get rid off the message "There are no compatible sound devices installed on this computer" in Cisco IP Communicator you should run them in compatibility mode with Windows XP:

Apply changes to applications "Cisco IP Communicator" and "Audio Tuning Wizard":
    By right clicking on the icon -> Preferences -> Compatibility tab -> change Compatibility mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".

Hope it helps.

Thanks

4. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

That worked a treat and just changed the network from shared to bridged mode and now I have a fully working cisco ip communicator setup.

5. Stofence

Stofence Bit poster

No IP Communicator audio

Maybe I'm slow, but I'm afraid I don't understand the instructions here. I have a similar problem. Same great Parallels 7 and Cisco IP Communicator 7.0.5. Communicator runs fine and I can configure my Plantronics headset with no problem using the Audio Tunig Wizard. I can make calls and I am heard on the other end, but I have no audio in my headset or on the computer speaker when calling. No dial tone and no received audio.

Can you help me please?

6. Hadi777

Hadi777 Bit poster

Hello
    did you change from shared to bridge to fix audio problem? I change to XP as instructed and the program work now but I have no audio. Are you using any headset?

7. BushaJ

BushaJ Bit poster

Hi, Daleski75, you said the change to bridged networking worked for you and you have fully function IP communicator. Does your audio work as well? I tried the same thing and persons I talk to can hear me but I can't hear them.

If yours is working please let me know and if you did anything additional to get this working. Thanks.

8. CroweHI

CroweHI Bit poster

Parallels/Windows 7/IP Communicator

I managed to get IP Communicator fully running under Windows 7 through Parallels: Devices, Network1, Ethernet (Bridged). You need to make sure you have the latest IP Communicator (8.6.1). I ran the app as Admin, but did not need to use XP compatibility mode. I also use the Plantronics 210M USB headset.

Now that I have wired ethernet working, has anyone been able to get this to work under wifi? I can make calls, but can't hear the party on the other side. They can hear me of course. I tried all the options with no success.

Also, I am using the Parallels audio drivers which you must install from the Virtual Machine. I'm not sure why it doesn't install during the Parallels initial installation.

Thanks...:Andrew.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. Alex HR

Alex HR Bit poster

Hi Alev, I tried what you said, but still having the same message...Im running PD7, W7, in a MacBook Pro early 2011.
    What else can I do to make it wokr?
    Thanks in advance

10. Rohanlan

Rohanlan Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. Mac OS10.7.4, Win 7, Bridged network, Cisco IP Communicator 7.0.5.4. VPN inside the virtual machine not in OSX. I can send sound fine but I can't hear anything back. No ringing tones, no voice, nothing. Hope someone finds a workaround.

11. Rohanlan

Rohanlan Bit poster

Fix came with version upgrade

I have good news: After updating Cisco IP Communicator to version 8.6.1.0 and leaving everything else the same it now works perfectly.

12. Hadi777

Hadi777 Bit poster

Hello
    I have the latest R 8.6.1.0 and it all work but if I don't use a headset I cannot hear the other caller but they can hear me
    Is there a way to fix that?

Rohanian stated that it all work fine are you using a headset?

TX

13. Photolee

Photolee Bit poster

Same issue here

I'm running new MBA, Para7, and Win7. I've tried running comp mode, didn't work. Here at work we use Cisco Enterprise AP's. We require DHCP to Mac reservations. The other user can here me talking but i cannot hear them. I'm using Shared network, it will not let me use Bridged on my wifi here. I've tried creating a reservation for the parallels side which works fine (wireless) when i flip the switch from shared to bridged but then i lose all connectivity on the mac OSX side. I've tried running IP communicator version 7, 8.6.1 and now running 8.6.3 and they're all broken. Wired connection is not possible as i'm a mobile admin moving to and from different floors.

14. Andy1

Andy1 Bit poster

Using Cisco IP Communicator 8.6.3 and Parallels Desktop 10 on OS X Yosemite... I have the same problem as several of the above people.
    Other party can hear me. But I cannot hear them.
    This is using a Jabra 2400 BIZ headset. Everything works fine when running IP Communicator on real Windows box. Just not with Parallels.
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but it seems like the problem was never solved, and now I am having the problem. Thanks!

15. Dancoiv

Dancoiv Junior Member

Don't apologize, I have the same setup as you and I'm looking for the same solution to the same problem. I have yet to find one. I cannot hear anyone on the other end, but I find it interesting if they press dialing buttons on their phone, I can hear that just fine. Just no voices.

I think it has to do with the Audio Modes within the Cisco setup, but none of them allow me to change from "Default Windows Audio Device" to anything else. Only the Ringer has a selection for something different, which is "Speakers (Parallels Audio Controller) and this allows me to hear the ringer when receiving a call. Microphone works! Just need to hear the voice on the other end!!! I wish someone could share a solution.

16. NikosA1

NikosA1 Bit poster

Same issue with me, tried also on new Parallels 11, with no luck.