Cisco VPN client does not work after upgrade to Parallels 5

VitaliF

Bit poster
After upgrade to Parallels 5 in existing Win XP VM Cisco VP client stopped working - it does not connect to VPN servers. Any ideas?
 
same issue... worked solid in version 4... I need to fall back or get a workaround. I'm using version 4.8.01.0300
 
After upgrade to Parallels 5 in existing Win XP VM Cisco VP client stopped working - it does not connect to VPN servers. Any ideas?

Could you please send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop "Help" -> "Report a Problem" and post here its number?
 
Have you tried re-installing the Cisco VPN client? FWIW...to install the Cisco VPN Client inside a VM running Vista or Windows 7, the VPN client install must be run as an administrator. Attempting to run the install as a normal user will cause the install to hang/fail.
 
I had to re-install AnyConnect and it works a treat. Are you using AnyConnect or the Cisco VPN client?
 
Unfortunately, I'm not able to check 4.8.01.0300 till Monday.

Please try to reinstall client and may be disable Parallels Internet Security if you have it installed.

if this won't help, please try Bridged Networking. If internet is available in Bridged Networking, then Cisco will also work.
 
same issue... worked solid in version 4... I need to fall back or get a workaround. I'm using version 4.8.01.0300

The Cisco VPN with TCP-transport is realy doesn't work.

Note: Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client afaik is using another method of secure-connection, so only old environments are affected.

To make the Cisco VPN work in Shared Networking please switch Cisco VPN to use UDP transport:

In Cisco VPN Client: select the connection, click Modify icon in toolbar -> choose Transport tab and switch to the IPsec over UDP

Updated by elric at 16-nov-2009. Removed solution to switch to the PD4 way of SharedNetworking
 
Last edited:
Thanks a million Elric. UDP works fine. Took me this long to uninstall the Cisco client so that it could be reinstalled. Had to do the manual uninstall.. was stuck in no where land with a partial uninstall and could not reinstall for a few days.
 
Using Mac's Cisco VPN inside a VM?

Hello,

my Mac is one week old and I am still figuring out how to run Parallels 4. Before upgrading to 5, I am a bit worried about the Cisco issue.

Would it be an option to use the Cisco VPN capabilities of Snow Leopard and use that VPN connection in the VM? Wouldn't that stop the need to run the Cisco client?

Thanks for your advise on this,
Thomas
 
Before upgrading to 5, I am a bit worried about the Cisco issue.
Actually, it is not a big issue. If you are running Cisco VPN inside guest with Shared Networking, you can try to switch the Cisco to the UDP Transport (I believe, btw, it is default) - select the connection, click Modify icon in toolbar -> choose Transport tab and switch to the IPsec over UDP. And if it works (I'm determined that there are none or almost none environments where it doesn't), it will continue to work also in PD5

Would it be an option to use the Cisco VPN capabilities of Snow Leopard and use that VPN connection in the VM? Wouldn't that stop the need to run the Cisco client?

Parallels Desktop 5.0 contains a huge amount of fixes to allow to use VPN-connection established at Mac be functioning inside Guest. There is a forum-posting http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=392357 where successful use of SnowLeopardVPN is reported. But digging through code we have found one more place in Parallels Desktop that might be improved. You can request trial serial key for Parallels Desktop 5.0 and try.

If it doesn't, we will definitely try to fix it in the nearest update
 
Last edited:
I installed parallels today and CISCO VPN client is now not working. No problem in old version. Cannot change to UDP connection as settings are "locked". Any other solution or do I need to uninstall and reinstall version 4.
 
I installed parallels today and CISCO VPN client is now not working. No problem in old version. Cannot change to UDP connection as settings are "locked". Any other solution or do I need to uninstall and reinstall version 4.

Does the settings are locked just after reboot of Windows and before attempt to connect to VPN? Settings are really locked if connecting is in progress.

What is the version of Cisco VPN client?
 
Any idea when a real fix is going to be released? Our company doesn't support UDP on the Cisco VPN box so while it connects I can't really get to any of the Exchange servers or Netapp's.

Thanks,
Dave
 
Any idea when a real fix is going to be released? Our company doesn't support UDP on the Cisco VPN box so while it connects I can't really get to any of the Exchange servers or Netapp's.

There will be no "real" fix (at least it is not planned). The way of Shared Networking in Parallels 5 fixes all know networking problems and the way it was done in PD4 was really unreliable..

You should try Bridged or push your company to allow UDP.

May be you can try VPN-client provided in Snow Leopard (by the way, if it doesn't work for PD5.9220 from "just in box" and may require some additional tuning, it should be improved in next update of Parallels Destkop).

If both options are not acceptable for you, let me know via private message.

IPsec over TCP kb: http://kb.parallels.com/en/6901
 
Last edited:
Uninstalling/Reinstalling the Cisco VPN client worked for me

After playing with Parallels settings, Cisco client settings, and Windows networking settings for 3 hours, I gave up and uninstalled/reinstalled the Cisco VPN client.

It worked on the first try. All access to my company's network.

Good luck,

-- Jeff
 
I had the same issue - Cisco AnyConnect stopped working on my Windows 7 (64-bit) VM after upgrading to Parallels 5. After many useless back-and-forth with Parallels support, I found out myself that if I turn off Parallels Internet Security protecttion, then VPN works fine.
Now I'm trying to figure out how to set an exception in Parallels Internet Security to allow VPN to work fine. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Back
Top