Cluster with clone

denisf1

Bit poster
Hi
I'm interested to build redondency with two Parrallels VM hosted on a MAC PRO.
My VM (macosx server) hosted web sites and I want to build a cluster (active/passiv) with a second one replicated by the snaphost.
Is it possible to reach my goal with a linked clone ? i understood that if the parent clone die the child is no longer available ?
any idea build a high availabilty cluster with Parrallel Desktop ?
 
I'm not specialized in high availability but here's what I think. What do you build redundancy for? Mainly to overcome a) network issues and b) hardware failures. But two virtual machines running on a single physical node don't solve it: they are behind the same physical network link and running on the same RAM and hard disk. So I don't think it's a good idea.
 
you're right for network issues and hardware failures.
I considered that hardware risks are finally less important than internet attacks and my target is to be able to switch to another fresh VM instance. Obviously to eliminate hardware risk I can also host the replicated VM on a mac mini server used for DNS and Mail services as well.
 
If your goal is to switch to fresh VM on some condition - linked clone may work for you. You may also consider another alternative: making periodic snapshots and switch to "clean" state of VM.
 
Back
Top