Cmd-H no longer works in P7?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KentonT, Sep 7, 2011.

1. KentonT

KentonT Member

Cmd-H always worked to hide Parallels 6, in fullscreen or single-window mode. In Parallels7 / Lion, it seems to work for a little bit, but stops working at some point. using the Parallels Desktop -> Hide Parallels Desktop menu still works, however....

2. KeithMac

KeithMac Bit poster

Same problem for me too.
    Just upgraded to version 7 and CMD-H no longer works.
    I also have problem with CMD-, to go to preferences
    If you choose F6, i.e. fn+F6 it hides Parallels but this isn't ideal.

3. K Pindzola

K Pindzola Bit poster

same problem here. I reinstalled Parallels tools, but that made no difference.

4. KeithMac

KeithMac Bit poster

I logged a support incident with Parallels.
    When I reviewed the call, they had marked it as closed referring to it being a Device Configuration problem. They haven't however sent any Device Configuration instructions only that I should refer to the Forums and Knowledge-base!!!

Thu Sep 15 16:44:26 2011 + 20 H darshan.narayana - Diagnose changed from (no value) to 'Device misconfiguration'
    Thu Sep 15 17:05:08 2011 + 20 M darshan.narayana - Diagnose changed from 'Device misconfiguration' to ''
    Thu Sep 15 17:05:15 2011 + 7 S darshan.narayana - Diagnose changed from (no value) to 'Device misconfiguration'
    Thu Sep 15 17:05:36 2011 + 21 S darshan.narayana - Status changed from 'new' to 'resolved'
    Thu Sep 15 17:05:37 2011 + 1 S darshan.narayana - ETAlastUpdated changed from 2011-09-14 20:09:46 to 2011-09-15 17:05:37
    Thu Sep 15 17:05:37 2011 + 0 S darshan.narayana - ETA changed from 2011-09-15 20:09:46 to (discount)

5. K Pindzola

K Pindzola Bit poster

Go to Parallels Preferences (NOT the VM configuration), and choose Keyboard tab.
    Choose the Windows Profile on the drilldown of profiles.
    Make sure that the box beside "Parallels Desktop Shortcuts" is checked and double-click the last item, F6 - which is Show/Hide Application. Double-clicking opens an edit window. Change the F6 in the editable field to Cmd-H by clicking on the CMD icon and entering "h".
    My "Virtual Machine Shortcuts" box is unchecked, but the "Enable Mac OS X Shortcuts" IS checked. Cmd-H works!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. KeithMac

KeithMac Bit poster

Thanks for this...but if you remap (show/hide application / F6) to CMD+H it prevents you from using CMD+H to hide any other application!
    All that happens then is if you press CMD+H it either hides Parallels or brings it to the main focus.
    For example launch Parallels then Safari. Choose Hide Application from the menu whilst in Safari and you will probably see Parallels as the main application. Choose Hide Application from the menu (not your amended shortcut or F6) and it will hide Parallels and present the desktop/finder.
    This is normal CMD+H behaviour.
    If you use the F6 functionality, all that happens is that if you have any other application other that parallels in focus, it will show parallels if you choose CMD+H and you lose the ability to hide other applications.
    Incidentally, CMD+, has also stopped working in version 7.
    I am going to attempt to reopen the call with support and see if they will respond to my original question with an answer rather than just...its a configuration error!

7. K Pindzola

K Pindzola Bit poster

darn it you're right. Thanks, and will watch for your post with news from the Parallels team on this!

8. KeithMac

KeithMac Bit poster

Latest information from Parallels support

9. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

This is already fixed and will be available in the nearest update. Stay tuned!

10. jpoprock

jpoprock Bit poster

I'm running V6, and yesterday the ability to Hide Parallels suddenly went away for me. I have NO idea what happened, but thanks to this thread, I went into Pref's and remapped "Hide" from F6(?!) to Command+H and it's working again. Somehow the mapping changed from Cmd+H to F6 yesterday. Maybe I accidentally invoked some weird command and changed it? All good now!