Coherence mode greyed out on Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MattE1, Feb 4, 2017.

1. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

I have recently updated to Parallels 12 using Sierra/Windows 7, but cannot enter Cohernece mode. It is simply greyed out.
    There is no support yet for Parallels 12, and I have tried those for versions 11 and below.
    I have tried reinstalling Parallels, and using Disk Utility to repair, but no effect.
    I have also checked the Display adapters and there is only a Parallel VGA adapter, so no conflict there.

Any suggestions?
    Plasticmat

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

3. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

4. Please try to disable all antivirus and firewalls and then reinstall Parallels Tools again.

5. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

I have done this but Coherence remains greyed out (using McAFee antivirus which I have disabled).
    Any other suggestions?

6. Ok, please uninstall Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM), then reinstall Parallels Tools and check.

7. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

I have deleted the display adapter, but my Windows display now opens with very large fonts. What are the steps to reinstall Parallels from this point on?
    Do i do the reinstalation from the Mac window or from Windows 7?

8. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

How do I reinstall the display adaptor for Parallels? I cannot find the Reinstall Parallels button

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear Matt, we've already addressed the issue on one of our social media channel. Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help!

10. MattE1

MattE1 Junior Member

Can you please advise where this issue is? I cannot find it

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Dear MattE1, Please uninstall and reinstall Parallels Desktop, it will have fixed Parallels WDDM display driver issue and Coherence mode issue as well.

12. @MattE1 we've received your reply:
    Could you please explain in a step by step manner exactly how to uninstall Parallels, and then where to find the programme again to reinstall it. I am using Mac Sierra OS. I am new to Mac so am finding the process very different to Windows Thanks

13. BertrandU

BertrandU Bit poster

I have the same issue, although it used to work fine. Can you explain a bit more? Can we uninstall/reinstall parallels desktop without loosing the virtual machine set up (I have a windows 10 VM). There are no other ways to fix this?

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Please make sure you are not in any other view mode. If you are in full-screen or modality view until you exit that view coherence view will be grayed out. If Windows is in normal view then reinstall Parallels Tools before reinstalling Parallels Tools take a snapshot.

15. BertrandU

BertrandU Bit poster

thanks, reinstalling Parallels Tools in the VM worked.

16. Glad to know!
    Please contact us if you need any assistance.

17. DrB

DrB Junior Member

Ok, me next. 13" MBP 2016 w/ OS 10.12.4. Neither of my .pvm work (10 upgrade, 7) w/ coherence. Same black screen as rest. Removed, replaced Parallels App & Toolbox. Reinstalled both 3x each. Works with window opening but not coherence. I followed the KB on locked permissions, didn't help. I get something about " failed to get coherence display bounds for (842,-1)" in my log. Does this help?

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

@DrB Are you connecting any external monitor to your Mac? If so, please remove it then, and start your virtual machine in Coherence mode.

19. DrB

DrB Junior Member

No. And it happens only on my MBP 13" & not on my MAC PRO with external Monitor.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We see that you have reinstalled Parallels Desktop and Parallels Toolbox three time. Have you tried reinstalling Parallels Tools and checked?