Coherence problems for 10.14.6 guest in 10.15.x host

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ylluminate, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ylluminate

ylluminate Member

Due to the end of 32bit app support, the refinement of Coherence functionality is critically important now in Parallels 15, but unfortunately it's somewhat broken.

One example of this can be easily demonstrated with Skitch 1.x (here's an archived download). Skitch 1.x is still very important since it's essentially still the best little tool like this on the market and so this offers a decent test for the kind of functionality that would be expected from such an expensive and highly touted tool like Parallels 15. Missing this kind of functionality that I'm about to demonstrate really makes me wonder about supporting Parallels / Corel.

So a simple test:
    1st: when I enter into Coherence with multiple monitors, unfortunately only one monitor is allowing the app to move around. This is a general and odd behavior for apps in Coherence. The macOS guest in Coherence mode should expand to all desktops.

2nd: when you make a screenshot in Skitch and then drag it out within Coherence mode, it just suddenly drops "somewhere". The normal behavior when dragging something out of any app should be to be able to drag it to a Menubar or Dock app, but it appears that Coherence is broken and currently just drops things spontaneously without any willful release of the trackpad / cursor. This is extremely problematic.

3rd: when in Coherence mode and you press a key combo like `cmd-control-shift-4` to take a screenshot to the paste/clipboard, you would expect that you're taking a screenshot of the HOST system - not the guest. For some reason, Parallels is buggy and is thinking that this key combo should go to the guest instead and that's really, really simply a bad mistake by the Parallels developers from a UX standpoint. When you're working in Coherence it is very obvious that key presses should generally go to the host system unless there is a very specific key combo that needs to go to the guest app that's currently in focus - else all key combo presses should go to Host!

I figured we can start with these and then work on some more after Parallels can fix this little monster issues.

AlvaroM2 likes this.
  2. AlvaroM2

AlvaroM2 Bit poster

I believe you found even more problems that I did. Unfortunately, I realise that almost four months have passed and nobody seems to have an answer... This is my story...
    I've created several different virtual machines and I've perceived that whenever I created macOS VMs (Snow Leopard, El Capitan, High Sierra and Mojave) they were never well integrated along with my host OS. But, for all of the other kinds of VMs I've created, using OS that were not macOS (Linux CentOS, Linux Mint and Windows 7 pro), I got well integrated VMs.
    When I said "never well integrated", I meant that coherence mode wasn't behaving correctly:
    - I couldn't see the guest's running applications icon on the dock;
    - I couldn't move guest application windows between displays.

Host machine - macOS X 10.15.4 Catalina with dual display

3. ylluminate

ylluminate Member

Yeah, Parallels is horrible. They never fail to make you feel like you poured your money down a rathole.

4. HannesR

HannesR Bit poster

What I have done is to switch off "Displays have separate spaces" in the Mission Control preferences and then just enlarge the Parallels window containing my virtualized macOS Mavericks to span my two monitors. This results in some weird 5075 x 1329 resolution seen by the guest macOS (I'm using two 4K monitors with scaled 2560 x 1440 resolutions for better readability). Not a perfectly elegant solution, but at least allowing me to use the apps in the VM on both monitors.

However, in this setup, Coherence still works only on the main monitor. Dragging a window to the "gap" between the two displays results in the overlapping part of the window (which should appear on the other monitor) being cut off.

So, I agree that Parallels should definitely take a look into Coherence for mac OS as a guest OS. With the ending of 32 bit support in Catalina and its successors, there are probably many more reasons than before to run virtualized older mac OS versions in Parallels. If this can't be done on the foundation of Parallels 15, it would make a nice feature for Parallels 16 - which would certainly motivate me to upgrade.

5. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

Another issue I have noticed is if I switch an app to Coherence view, there is no menu bar! This makes a lot of apps unusable as critical actions are accessed from the menu bar.

6. KimR3

KimR3 Junior Member

Thanks for the alert. I was just about to upgrade from V13 but given what I see here on the forums. This is really a windows only tool. Any support for MAC OSX as a guest VM is clearly lacking. Sad. Truly Sad. I hate it when a product goes 75% of the way and never finishes. This is why I haven't renewed before now, and why I likely won't renew until they do actually finish MaC OSX guest support.