Coherence Renders Parallels Un-quit-able?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Jan 18, 2017.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I don't use coherence normally so I'm not so familiar with parallels specifically when in this mode...

That said, I accidentally clicked the wrong button in the top left corner of a Windows 10 guest and entered coherence, only to find that I could not find any way to exit coherence, or do anything else within the parallels application itself.

So I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out how I couldy do this...

The thing that made it so confusing is that the parallels application in my dock was marked as NOT running while the Guest OS was active.

Clicking on the dock icon only opened the start menu, which didn't help the specific situation...

Since the application in the dock was not "running", right clicking the icon did not provide the normal set of menus such as the ability to show control center.

There was no OS icon in my dock, so selecting that wasn't an option.

I have menubar icons disabled, so there was no ability to select that.

Running windows applications from the finder worked as one would expect, but when in a windows application there is no ability I could find to exit coherence or engage parallels itself.

In short entering coherence seems to be a one way action. Once in coherence I cannot find ANY method to exit coherence. I cannot find ANY method to bring up preferences, control center, or any other option tied to parallels.

Eventually it dawned upon me to use the start menu that shows when clicking the dock icon to shut down the Guest OS. Since I have the Guest OS configured to boot into full screen by default, this effectively allowed me to exit Coherence. Of course, if I had the Guest OS set to return to the mode it was previously in, I would still be stuck in Coherence...

How can I exit coherence, or bring up the control center, or parallels preferences when coherence is active?? Note that I tried a few hot keys but none seemed to have any effect. My guess on this is since Parallels is behaving as if it's not running, I can't send hot keys to Parallels as it's never the active application...

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Yikes, things to serious for a few minutes...

I was playing around in coherence mode to see if I could find any way to break free other than shutting down the Guest OS, with no luck.

I happened to click the application icon to trigger the start menu, then start typing which activates the Cortana menu that is normally in the task bar.

That worked, and after typing a couple commands (but not entering them) I clicked off the Cortana menu to close it.

At this point in time I re-clicked start to as I was going to shutdown the Guest OS so I could boot it up outside of Coherence (again, this is currently the only way I can find to exit Coherence), only problem was, when I clicked start the parallels app icon in my dock the start menu flashed briefly until switching back to the Cortana menu before closing it.

Every time I clicked the dock icon it would immediately open the Cortana menu, and would close that shortly thereafter. After a few rounds of this I started to delete the text that was still in the Cortana window, which finally stopped the Cortana menu from opening...

Following this, however, clicking the Parallels icon in my Dock would trigger the start menu, but it would still disappear (now without the Cortana menu showing & then vanishing).

At this point I could not access the Start menu so I could not shut down the VM. This meant there was literally no possible way (of which I'm aware) for me to EVER get out of Coherence again (rebooting my Mac would only suspend the Guest OS, which would resume back into Coherence after re-running parallels). My only saving grace was after clicking the dock icon 20 to 30 times the start menu finally stayed open long enough for me to trigger shut down.

At this point in time I'm going to avoid Coherence like the plague, as it appears it is entirely possible for me to be permanently unable to exit Coherence if the conditions are right.

Again, if someone can tell me how to get out of Coherence considering the limitations in place, I would greatly appreciate it.

3. TerOZ

TerOZ Bit poster

I know it was a long time ago, but I think this can not be that way
    To exit the coherence mode, you must press 'cmd' + 'l', when you block the session, hopefully, down to the right you can turn off.
    that
    Sorry for the English, greetings from Chile