Combining two VM's

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by howecpa, Apr 9, 2016.

1. howecpa

howecpa Bit poster

i am running Parallels Pro 11 and have two VM's, one running Win7 and one running Win10. I want to consolidate all of the programs and data to the Win10 version. Then I want to delete the Win7 VM. Two VM's take up too much space and are not necessary. Thank you.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi,
    The following information is from Parallels Knowledgebase for Parallels Desktop 9, I cannot see that this has changed Microsoft does not allow transfer of programs only the user information:
    If you need to migrate Windows applications from one Virtual Machine to another Virtual Machine you will have to install them on your other Virtual Machine using the installation packages for those applications. After you install your Windows application on another Virtual Machine you may want to copy the data files related to that application (like databases, settings, bookmarks etc.) from the original Virtual Machine. Alternatively you can use Windows Easy Transfer utility from Microsoft to transfer your Windows installation from one Virtual machine to another.
    I hope this information is helpful.

3. howecpa

howecpa Bit poster

Thank you Kat. That is very helpful to know. It makes sense from a licensing perspective. I will move the data to the cloud and start deleting programs running under Win 7.