Command Key will not open Start Menu unless Windows has focus

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jvanclute, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jvanclute

jvanclute Junior Member

This is really frustrating me, I hope someone has a solution.
    I'm on macOS Sierra, Windows 7 under Parallels Desktop 13.
    If I'm in any Windows application, hitting the Command key once will bring up the start menu. But if I'm in any Mac application, hitting the command key once does nothing. The start menu cannot be brought up by the keyboard unless a Windows application has focus. This makes it extremely frustrating if I just want to quickly do something in Windows while I'm in the Mac, since the Start menu is usually the quickest way to get to whatever I'm ultimately after (searching for a file, application, opening control panels, etc.)
    Is this intentional behavior (locking out the Start Menu unless Windows has focus) or is something configured wrong? Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Thanks!

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @jvanclute , please click on View > Enter coherence and try using the command key and check if that works.

3. jvanclute

jvanclute Junior Member

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm already in coherence.

4. jvanclute

jvanclute Junior Member

Just to make matters worse, now I can't even click anything in the start menu at all. I can open it with the mouse, but then anything I click I get the Windows "ding" sound. The only ting clickable in the entire start menu, is my account icon in the upper right corner. I can't even shut down Windows!

5. jvanclute

jvanclute Junior Member

A forcible reset of Windows has gotten the basic Start menu working again. But I still can't call it up from the keyboard with the command key if a Mac app has focus.

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @jvanclute , please take a short video clip explaining the issue. We will check and help you out.