Compatibility: Parallels Desktop/Workstation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dan in MD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Dan in MD

Dan in MD Junior Member

Assuming host computers have similar memory, disk capacity, and CPU, can a VM created in Parallels Workstation be run in Parallels Desktop (with no issues, in other words--it works well)? And vice versa?

I just purchased a bunch of Parallels Workstation 6 and Parallels Desktop 8 licenses and I would like to use them to disseminate desktop builds to Mac and PC users for quality assurance testing.

Thanks

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

As far as I experienced Workstation 6 against PD 8 and vice versa works: I can make a VM in Workstation and use it in PD and vice versa without problems. Only the Parallels tools have to be updated. We do this frequently at my company with Win XP as guest.

3. Dan in MD

Dan in MD Junior Member

When you say the Parallels tools need to be updated, do you mean that they need to be up-to-date (current patch level), or that some patch or configuration must be applied?

Thanks

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Tools, the drivers for the virtual hardware, are different between PW and PD, pretty much like between any major or minor version of PD and as such this triggers the update/install mechanism.

5. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Yes, that's what I wanted to say - the software calls it 'update' but it's just the simple change between the drivers needed by Workstation 6 and others needed by PD 8.