Configuration Options Grayed Out - Windows 10 Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NorbertG1, Feb 24, 2018.

1. NorbertG1

NorbertG1 Bit poster

Hello everyone.

I have Parallels Version 13 and installed a Windows 10 Machine. For some reason, I cannot make changes to the hardware configuration of the virtual machine. I have shut down the virtual machine and still cannot modify for example the CPU's cores or Ram allocation. These settings are grayed out.

The only way I can modify these settings is when I change the option under General Tab..... Configure for:..instead of Productivity I change it for Gaming.

Any clues????

Thanks and regards,
    Norbert

2. Hi NorbertG1. Shut down the virtual machine and open the configuration window. Release the lock from the bottom left corner in the configuration window and try to change the settings.

3. NorbertG1

NorbertG1 Bit poster

Hello. The lock is unlocked and still the settings are grayed out. I had to uninstall Paralells and install again in order to make changed to the configuration settings. What can I do if this happens again in th future? Is there a fix for this issue and i dont need to uninstall and reinstall to overcome?

Thanks
    Norbert

4. Hi, the issue might be due to some misconfiguration during the installation and it should not happen again since the configuration is enabled after the reinstallation od Parallels Desktop.

5. TomB10

TomB10 Bit poster

I have the same problem as NobertG1 described. I have Parallels 13 and a brand new Mac 27". I have uninstalled Parallels and Windows 10 and reinstalled. The problem persists.
    Tom

6. TristaJ

TristaJ Member

I need to know an answer to this also. Any updates to this issue?

7. TristaJ

TristaJ Member

if the VM is shut down, how do you open the configuration window???

8. Please refer this article to open the configuration window after shutting down the virtual machine.

9. TomB10

TomB10 Bit poster

Make sure you shut down the VM properly - I wasn't doing that. When in Windows, go to "Actions" in the menu bar. Then choose "Shut Down" (I was only quitting Windows, not shutting it down). After doing it properly, all was good.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Nice to know that you were able to sort it out. Thanks for sharing the info.

kerrye likes this.
  11. lilyd1

lilyd1 Bit poster

How do you get to the configuration interface without having the VM running though? Thank you!!

12. Hello, please try these instructions.

13. kerrye

kerrye Bit poster

Thank you Hemnth...correct answer was to shut windows down properly! save my day.

Maria@Parallels likes this.