Connecting to Terminal Server with SSL auth enabled

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by dgcom, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Hi!

I'm using latest 2X client, which I found via Portable apps and live it a lot.
    Thank you very much for providing such a great application.

There is one problem though - if I try to connect to Terminal Server which has SSL authentication enabled, connection quickly fails with the following error message:
    This dialog box is shown by RDP client control. Once I click ok, 2X client shows its own error:
    And I have several places I need to connect with authentication enabled :(
    I think, there should be a property available for the RDP control to enable this easily.
    (Another free remote client Terminals has this setting as "Enable TLS Authentication" and works normally).

Oh, and future requests, while I'm at it:
    - Would be nice to be able to predefine defaults for new connections, so I do not need to change each and every setting whenever I create new connection.
    - Allow different connections on each defined connections via right-click - normal connection or console connection
    - Ability to define and switch global proxy setting (in addition to per-connection setting).

Thanks again, hope SSL authentication would be fixed soon!

2. poahelpdesk

poahelpdesk Guest

SSL auth works fine for me. Make sure your telling the client its using SSL auth and that its enabled and a cert has been generated on the server side. We used a self generated one so we get a dialog box on connection about it otherwise it works. Check your settings under the SSL/TLS tab on the server and also make sure those ports are open.

3. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Where do I tell 2X TS client that it needs to use SSL?
    I do not see such option in version 7.3 build 753.

There is no issue on server side, obviously - I can connect using mstsc.exe without an issue.
    (Ceritificate popup does not count - I have tried both - with self-generated and issued by trusted authority).

4. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Hi!

I just installed the latest version of the client - 7.3 build 768.

The problem connecting to Terminal Server with SSL authentication is still there. Sad :(

Just to make sure, I also looked for and found beta version - 8.0 build 804 - still the same issue.

5. grancu

grancu Guest

Hi,

You need to set the connection mode to SSL.
    To change this, click on the connection > then properties > change connection mode to SSL.

hope this helps

6. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Hi!

Thank you for willing to help me.

I think, I need to mention this every time - this is not for 2X server connection, but for Terminal Server connection.
    For this type of connection Connection Mode dropdown is disabled.

I probably need to email 2X support directly, they might not see this in users' forum...

7. grancu

grancu Guest

Hello,

I am afraid 2X does not support that.

8. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Hi!

I'm not sure what are you referring to as not supported.
    2X client does support normal Remote Desktop connections to Terminal Services server - and that's the beauty of it - it is being promoted on http://portableapps.com as free and advanced TS client.

What it does not support and that's exactly why I started this thread is when TS connection requires SSL for authentication, as described here:
    Configuring authentication and encryption: Terminal Services
    Basically, when SSL is selected for Security layer in RDP connection configuration on the server (see screenshot).

Why this is an issue? Because more and more companies use this configuration as more secure way to protect TS servers if they are exposed to the internet.

9. grancu

grancu Guest

Hello,

the feature request was filed, and will be available in the coming releases, but there is still no estimated date, so what I suggest is to keep an eye on the change logs of 2X.

Thanks,

10. dgcom

dgcom Guest

Hi!

Great thanks for looking into this issue and adding it to the list of upcoming features!

I'll wait patiently for it :)