Copy vs Clone of VM?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rick056, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Rick056

Rick056 Junior Member

Hi folks. I'm reloading my Mac and I went to back up my VM before I wipe it and I'm wondering what the difference is between just copying it somewhere or using the "Clone" function to export it. Any difference? Thanks.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Copying a pvm file manually or cloning virtual machine in Parallels Desktop does similar task in different ways but as you are going to wipe the Mac and reload it, cloning is not going to make much difference. If cloning is done Parallels Desktop will remember the path of second copy but if manual backup is done until that pvm file is opened Parallels Desktop will never know the location.

3. Rick056

Rick056 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Does it do anything different when you clone vs copy in terms of the VM itself? Change SSID (in windows)? Anything like that? If you run a clone vs a copy along side each other are there any issues of any kind? Thanks again.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BrantR , you can run both clone vs copy without any issues.

5. ReinerSaddey

ReinerSaddey Bit poster

I indeed noticed subtle differences concerning network configurations.

Using Finder to copy a VM (Windows 10 using shared network in my use case), both, the original VM and the copied one used the same IP.
    Even after having generated a new MAC for the network adapter of the clone, both the original an the clone kept using the same IP :(

Surprise: Using Clone... the clone immediately was assigned a new IP different from the original one.