Cross-OS file access in Parallels Workstation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by LMHmedchem, Feb 3, 2013.

1. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem Bit poster

I am looking for information about the kind of cross-OS file access that is available in Parallels Workstation. I am considering converting to a setup where I would be running Ubuntu 64-bit as my host OS and then running a number of virtual OS versions. The primary role of the virtual OSs will be to cross compile code for a number of different platforms (XP 32-bit, win7 32/64-bit, CentOS 32-64-bit, SUSE 32/64-bit, OSX). I would like each virtual OS to have access to a shared data partition that will be mounted in the host OS. All of my apps are built from a trunk directory in this shared partition, so if the virtual OSs don't have access to this directory, then cross compiling from this setup will be more complicated. I could probably set up individual trunk directories in each vOS that were synchronized with git or some other SVN, or possibly treat my shared partition as some kind of network resource, but direct access would be the simplest option.

Can someone here provide some information on the kind of cross-OS file access that is available with this product?

LMHmedchem

2. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem Bit poster

I must confess myself to being totally mystified as to the complete lack of response to such a simple question? This is an organization that is attempting to sell a product, correct?

I would expect that any user who had ever set up a VM with Parallels Workstation would be able to answer this. I know that in vbox there is an option called "shared folders". When setting up the VM, you add folders to this list and they are available from inside the VM when it is running. Does Parallels Workstation has a feature similar to this or not???

If you want users to pay to use your products, you may want to consider answering questions they have regarding how your product works.

LMHmedchem